Thread: return air

i have a commercial building with a 12in roundduct coming from return to blower box. what is it doing

return air

comon doest anyone know if this is increaseing return are not.got 12in round duct on both sides of furnance kepting me from accessing filters

if it is verbatim as you explained sounds like someones jerryrigged attempt to increase air flow by bypassing the filter and coil.

if the 12" duct is tied into the supply side of the blower and has auto damper then is probably bypass duct to relieve static pressure on a vav system. 12" sounds small for that tho.

Question

Dude, no offense intended but you really need to explain this situation better.

Hmm Let's hope this is the case

To be clear cut and dry I believe this to be someone's way of introducing 25% fresh air as required by ARI standards 1989

Thumbs up Let me correct that latter statement

This looks doesn't look practicle if someone is trying to increase return air flow. If that is the case then it'll eventually throw the whole air distribution system off balance also possibly causing too much airflow across the evap's coil. At first I didn't quite understand this problem. Disregard my last comment.