Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just got a used spare refrig. to keep in garage. When it shuts off, the compressor makes a loud double clunk. What causes this?

Death rattle.

The squirrels run into each other pretty hard

when the brake hits that wheel they're running on. My shop fridge does it too.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

High head pressure? How clean are the condenser coils?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

As you know, the motor/compressor is spring-mounted inside the can. If one of the springs is weak or broken, the compressor will shift when it shuts off, hitting the wall on the tin can.

Similar to when you are installing a replacement tin can, and you give it several violent shakes to activate the magic. Same sound.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

baub beat me to it. The springs under the compressor are going bad. If they are not gone too far you can sometimes put cardboard under the bad area and it will deaden the noise a little. Most of the time this is not a problem, especially if it is a garage unit.

Thanks guys. Yeah that's the sound all right.

Not necessarily the death nell.

Have one that has been doing that for years. Knocks but never misses a beat.

My beer fridge in the garage was making that noise...unplugged it...electric bill dropped $15 a month...beer stays in the house now!

Originally posted by jrbenny
    My beer fridge in the garage was making that noise...unplugged it...electric bill dropped $15 a month...beer stays in the house now!
    Til you drank it

check to see if the compressor is mounted on springs or rubber motor mounts.

a while back i was helping a neighbor move a very old fridge (1950's prbably) in his basement and the compressor kind of fell out the bottom when we put it on the hand cart. turns out that the spring mounts had completely rusted off the compressor (big @$$ Kelivinator beast of a compressor). We bolted it back in with new springs and he couldn't believe how quiet it was. he said it always used to rattle and klunk, but now it is silent. we also fixed the condensor fan which looked like it hadn't turned in 10 years. i doubt a modern compressor would last that long without a condensor fan. I don't want to even think about the head pressure

Originally posted by midhvac
    Originally posted by jrbenny
    Til you drank it
    Ya, beer doesn't last as long when I don't have to walk to the garage for a cold one!

Originally posted by workhorse
    baub beat me to it. The springs under the compressor are going bad. If they are not gone too far you can sometimes put cardboard under the bad area and it will deaden the noise a little. Most of the time this is not a problem, especially if it is a garage unit.
    baub was referring to the springs inside the can. Compressors have springs mounted internaly also.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast