I am proofreading a transcript taken by another court reporter, and it refers to the "lifeline" of an HVAC unit. Is that correct, or should it be lifetime"? Any reply would be appreciated.

Probably lifetime, never heard lifeline. But if you post the entire sentence we can most likely fill in the proper word.

Older Coleman heatpumps had a stat wire between
    I.D. and O.D. units w/ plug connectors on each
    end. Ihave heard these called lifelines.

Okay. Here are the complete sentences. The court reporter apparently thought she heard lifeline, but I am questioning whether she is right.

THE WITNESS: ASHRAE standards that they had published when this was done would have a lifeline. And, I believe the lifeline currently is at 15 years. The lifeline of 15 years, it would be towards the minimum end and 20 years would be toward the maximum.

Anyone have any thoughts as to if this would be correct?

It is lifetime.

I'm confident that the word should have been lifetime.

About five years ago was when I first heard of a trend that is growing. Retail stores that lease space in a shopping center are required to have preventive maintenance and maintain the HVAC equipment. Many over the past few years have had great success in suing the landlord to have the equipment replaced on the grounds that the equipment is past ASHRAE guidlines and can no longer be maintained. In most the cases I have heard of, they get an escrow account set up and their rent is paid into this account. The landlord can collect the rent in escrow once they replace the equipment. Stores which have held leases in a shopping center for many years have had great success in using this approach and don't have to foot the bill for costly repairs or new equipment this way. Too often however, the landlord simply does the bare minimum necessary to collect the rent and does not do the job right. I was just wondering if the case involved something like this.

The testimony is this deposition is a witness that gave an estimate on replacing HVAC units on a 20+ year old building. I don't know what happened that a lawsuit ended up happening. Probably this man's company's bid was not accepted and someone else screwed up the job, I would imagine.

I bet thats an intresting job. I bet you could tell some doozy stories.

Transcript finished. Thank you guys that responded to me. I took your advice and changed it to "lifetime." Debbie

do post again. we'll throw you a lifeline anytime.

Originally posted by gbfromsd
    do post again. we'll throw you a lifeline anytime.
    Careful if you go transposing words with this one...it could sound like a marriage