Thread: CME256

Lightbulb

Had a call on the CME256 that they would push the freeze button and it would do nothing but click. We get there and thats what it is doing, customer thought it was contactor but it was actually the hot gas valve clicking. Looked over everything and it seemed ok. So we come up with the conclusion of a controller going crazy. Put it on and it still does the same thing, Check out the machine per Scotsman and dont find anything. We push the contactor in and then something on the other side of the building sounds like it is being fried. We check the power again at the outlet and it is 115 volts. We had the voltage as long as there was no load on the receptacle. Plug something into it and it drops down to 67 volts. I am guessing a neutral is broken somewhere. Going to get an electrician to check out the electrical problem. Ice machine works like a champ when it gets the correct voltage though.

Let's see ... the symptom was "no makey de ice". Or was the only symptom the fact it is a Scotsman?

So it wasnt making ice or even running the compressor.

Hmmm.... and then a controller was replaced. Is that correct?
    Replacedthis part and it still didnt come on.
    Pushed in contactor and the compressor did not run.
    Hmmm.... then you got out the meter and checked power to the wall outlet and then discovered there was a very serious voltage drop?

I had that same type of problem once at a market. It was the ICM 3-Phase line monitor. The old style relay. It was goofing up me voltage readings to the control circuit of this meat case.
    It drove two of us mad.

Did ya plug the machine into another outlet to get it back online?

[i]Had a call on the CME256 that they would push the freeze button and it would do nothing but click. We get there and thats what it is doing, customer thought it was contactor but it was actually the hot gas valve clicking. Looked over everything and it seemed ok. So we come up with the conclusion of a controller going crazy. Put it on and it still does the same thing, Check out the machine per Scotsman and dont find anything. We push the contactor in and then something on the other side of the building sounds like it is being fried. We check the power again at the outlet and it is 115 volts. We had the voltage as long as there was no load on the receptacle. Plug something into it and it drops down to 67 volts. I am guessing a neutral is broken somewhere. Going to get an electrician to check out the electrical problem. Ice machine works like a champ when it gets the correct voltage tho [/B]
    Let me take a shot,see what you think..
    I kind of agree on a broken wire,not necesseraly neutral.When there is no load on the lines there is no current draw.Your voltmeter`s internal resistance is so high not to allow it to draw any amp so it would read the full voltage.Soon as you put the compressor accross that line there is a current draw.On the other side of the building where a loose electrical connection that means high resistance, holds some voltage accross it only in the presence of amp draw.(Becomes a load in series with the compressor.)Possibly with the heat that it creates couses grounding too.No breaker trips?No fuse blows?

Originally posted by gdavis
    they would push the freeze button and it would do nothing but click. We get there and thats what it is doing, customer thought it was contactor but it was actually the hot gas valve clicking
    I forgot to comment about this..solenoid valves draw very little current.like the voltmeter`s internal resistance.(much more though)so very small current going through that loose connection does not create considerable voltage drop and heat..

I bet......

Where ever the frying sound is coming from is arcing from a loose connection.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I've had a lot of cases where the electrician tried to save a couple of bucks by using lots of common neutrals. I often find fried white wires in the panels because of that.

well nevertheless we put the old controller back on and got a heavy duty cord and got the machine running.

R12....whats this comment about that is simply a Scotsman? Scotsman is 1st and then Hoshizaki 2nd