Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cases in point:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=56917
    Question: Installer wants alternate opinions on how to start up a condenser.
    Answer: This ain't a DIY site. I would have fired you, you hack.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=56125
    Question: I have a mostly finished system installed by a pro. How do I finish a bit of ducting myself?
    Answer: You should have called a real pro you boob.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=56808
    Question: How do I buy direct from OEMs?
    Answer: How dare you? You're taking food from someone's baby!

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=56956
    Question: What set of tools would make a good gift?
    Answer: You're a DIY'er hack in disguise. You deserve no answer.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=56887
    Question: Help me with this school assigned quiz.
    Answer: You're a DIY'er in disguise too! Out damn spot!

Those examples are a sampling of just the top half of the residential section. Considering how fast new threads go up, the hostility is rampant.

To be fair, my summarized replies weren't the only answers given. And I am summarizing the posts in the worst way. But when someone gets their butt reamed for no real reason in one reply and the other ten are nice, which reply do you think he remembers? What's worse is that most of the butt reamers would never do that with their customers face to face. They would politely correct and instruct and keep the vitriol to themselves. Is there any reason why we can't do that more often here?

Of course there IS a reason. A lot of "pros" act professional because they have to, not because it's in their nature or they want to. After a long day of putting on heirs in the field, they get to come here and be themselves. They relieve themselves, as it were, on anyone who reminds them of that jerk they dealt with earlier in the day. Mind you, most of the "relievers" are nice guys overall. They just use this as a sort of unfortunate therapy. Nothing makes you feel better than knowing how stupid someone else is, ay?

Answering each and every example above would be an utter waste of time. I'm addressing a common pattern of behavior. You can legitimately disagree with how I'm characterizing the severity of the problem. Any one of my specific examples may be arguable. But if you can't even see that the problem I refer to exists as more than a rare occurrence, then get some new glasses Bubba because you're prescription has run out.

And no, I do NOT refer to professional debates amongst equally knowledgeable peers. God bless them. They can rip each other apart. Frankly that's FUN. I of course refer to those seeking knowledge, perhaps with unproven ulterior motives or not, who get their heads chopped off for asking the wrong question in the wrong way or for even simply being... (*gasp*) an engineer, a lawyer, a doctor or even (God forbid) a DIY'er.

So there it is. Though I've named no one specific, no doubt someone will take it personal and give me the "who's it what for". That's OK. And no, I don't expect one thing to change as a result of this. If anything I will add to the overall butt reaming total by getting my own rear reddened. But that's OK. Knock yourself out Sparky. I can take it.

A point well said. I used to go to alt.hvac.com in newsgroups but the charachter assasins were just too harsh and it got to be just a series of argument threads. I hope more people see and read this and take it into consideration when replying to a question.
    R2B4BTU

Talking

Don has a residential section????? Really?????
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Hope I kan git sum help. I wonted to moov mi airdition that sit owtside. I sawed the lynes off and mewved it thin taped thim bak togither. I filled it up with antyfreeze but now it leeks and the penny behind the fuze overheted and cowt my trailer on fire.Wut kan i do to fix it?

Well that new installer deserved better but some of the rest of em?? Too bad, like the cheap ass engineer who had a family friend start a job that took over a year, too many of us in the trades for a long time have seen these types of guys and dealing with them is a no win situation. They act nice here and get hurt when ya goof on em, but wait till ya get involved with them, different story entirely. Been there too many times.
    But, I do stay out of there for that reason, and the fact I simply don't have the time to mess with everybody?????

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by mattm
    Hope I kan git sum help. I wonted to moov mi airdition that sit owtside. I sawed the lynes off and mewved it thin taped thim bak togither. I filled it up with antyfreeze but now it leeks and the penny behind the fuze overheted and cowt my trailer on fire.Wut kan i do to fix it?
    End the misery, shoot yourself and get it over with.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

i thinx i mite git her dun. My unklebruther iz cumming over and he helped a gie who sawzzdid sumbody fix wun likes myne wonced. he sed i wuz stewpid cuz it needs gas insted of antifreze. im goien to the gas stashun now to git a cupple melk jugs filt up wit gas and he will help me.

Uncalled for remarks

As Otto said, you have stated it well. I am reminded of a biblical verse that says

“When a sieve is shaken, the husks appear.
    So does a man’s faults when he speaks.
    As the test of what the potter molds is in the furnace,
    So in his conversation is the test of a man.

Just as the fruit of the tree shows the care it has had;
    So to, does a man’s speech disclose the bent of his mind.
    Praise no man before he speaks, for it is then that men are tested”.

Why not spend our efforts in making a good site…a great site?

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say how much I admire diy'ers, engineers, hacks, direct marketers and all of the people here who share this admiration. You all are the best in my book.

As for all of you who don't share my thoughts, well you can just go........

It already is a great site. If you want to help everyone do stuff that we used to get paid for, go ahead. That will give ya more time to sit home and read the bible too.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Boss should just implement a filter that grabs any thread containing the words "electrical engineer" and automatically redirect it to ARP.

With all the bickering there no one would notice.

The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Cool

Originally posted by mattm
    i thinx i mite git her dun. My unklebruther iz cumming over and he helped a gie who sawzzdid sumbody fix wun likes myne wonced. he sed i wuz stewpid cuz it needs gas insted of antifreze. im goien to the gas stashun now to git a cupple melk jugs filt up wit gas and he will help me.
    TOO FUNNY !! It's this kinda stupid a** sh** that keep's me coming back. Don't change nuttin'..

I think some of youse guys need a dale carnegie course.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast