on a 30 ton luxair rooftop I changed a 100 amp fuse today.half a minute after I turned the power on ,one of the three compressors` fusite terminal blew up.scared the hell out of me.this is my first AC season in this field.Does this happen quite often?...(Bristol,mn;h23a563dbla)

never replace blown fuses before you have thoroughly tested for grounds and/or shorts,and then stand to one side when you turn that disconnect back on. That compressor must have been grounded and a high end multi meter or megger would have verified the ground.

Originally posted by jemair
    never replace blown fuses before you have thoroughly tested for grounds and/or shorts,and then stand to one side when you turn that disconnect back on. That compressor must have been grounded and a high end multi meter or megger would have verified the ground.
    I got it.Though I haven`t seen experienced people checking for grounds and shorts before replacing fuse.I checked for visual signs before turning power on.would you check for grounds at the contactor terminals?also my megameter may have helped because if it was already grounded would it take so long?..the fuse was ok too.I am not quite sure about grounding.

Altan, just cause a guy HAS experience does not mean he will draw from his learning and knowledge and apply much of it!

Some guys are working half a bubble off all their lives!

If you dont carry a Fluke or Fieldpiece or equivelent, then it's about time to get your hands on one or two.

My Fluke 16 will ohm out a grounded compressor just about as good as a megar does.

Play it safe.

You dont make points by being in a hurry. And you dont make any money living on disability insurance.

Remember, you were born to serve and you live to serve.
    So stay alive and you will live a long life of service.

Protect your eyes, first of all.
    Next your hands.
    Next your back.
    Then your knees.
    And your feet.
    Last but not least is your head.
    Always protect your head. But since most HVAC/R people are hard headed, we worry about the head last!

If you got a family, spend as much time with them, not argueing, as you possibly can.
    When your wife or kids ask you questions, to your face, stop what you are doing and face them right in the eye and engage them with an answer.
    You will be amazed how they respond to you when you treat them like that.

Your "The Big Cheese". Your the "Kahoona".
    To the average employer, you may be just a resource, a commodity, a piece of meat.
    And to his customer you may not represent anything more than another guy in a uniform.
    But to your family, you are "The Main Man"!

Do NOT give your precious family the leftovers of your time and energy!!!

Here, on this particular forum, you can earn some respect amongst the members of this community. But outside of this virtual arena of activities .... you are just one more guy. One amongst many others.
    And your family is the only one's who will be better to you than us and the rest of society!

Treat them with utmost respect.

Originally posted by R12rules
    Altan, just cause a guy HAS experience does not mean he will draw from his learning and knowledge and apply much of it!

Some guys are working half a bubble off all their lives!

If you dont carry a Fluke or Fieldpiece or equivelent, then it's about time to get your hands on one or two.

My Fluke 16 will ohm out a grounded compressor just about as good as a megar does.

Play it safe.

You dont make points by being in a hurry. And you dont make any money living on disability insurance.

Remember, you were born to serve and you live to serve.
    So stay alive and you will live a long life of service.

Protect your eyes, first of all.
    Next your hands.
    Next your back.
    Then your knees.
    And your feet.
    Last but not least is your head.
    Always protect your head. But since most HVAC/R people are hard headed, we worry about the head last!

If you got a family, spend as much time with them, not argueing, as you possibly can.
    When your wife or kids ask you questions, to your face, stop what you are doing and face them right in the eye and engage them with an answer.
    You will be amazed how they respond to you when you treat them like that.

Your "The Big Cheese". Your the "Kahoona".
    To the average employer, you may be just a resource, a commodity, a piece of meat.
    And to his customer you may not represent anything more than another guy in a uniform.
    But to your family, you are "The Main Man"!

Do NOT give your precious family the leftovers of your time and energy!!!

Here, on this particular forum, you can earn some respect amongst the members of this community. But outside of this virtual arena of activities .... you are just one more guy. One amongst many others.
    And your family is the only one's who will be better to you than us and the rest of society!

Treat them with utmost respect.

I appreciate your advice.valuable.