Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lenb View Post
    I've been following discussions on an oil drilling industry forum, interesting stuff from people that know what they are talking about:
    http://www.drillingahead.com/forum/t...ater-horizon-1

From what I gather, they're afraid to completely cap the top of the blow out preventer stack, think the stack or the casing near the sea floor may rupture, causing oil to leak up thru the sea floor at numerous locations on the sea floor.

I think they are ahead of schedule on drilling the relief well, hopefully it will be completed soon. They will cut into the casing above the reservoir, and inject heavy mud, then cement into it, and that should plug it for good. They have performed this procedure in the past on other well blowouts, and are confident it will work.

In the mean time, they're just trying to capture as much of the oil as they can, without dead heading it, and subjecting the stack to too much pressure.
    This is what I figured... too much pressure.

THX for posting this!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

What I don't understand, is that soon after the blowout, they first tried to manually shut the BOP, which if they succeeded would have subjected the stack and casing to full pressure then and they were not concerned about it.

Now they are afraid to shut it down by installing a new valve on top of the stack, maybe they figure the internals have been worn down since then?

I thought right from the beginning, after failing to get the BOP closed, they should have unbolted or cut off the damaged riser from the BOP at the flange, and bolted on a new shut off valve on top of it, and closed it and be done with it.
    Easier said than done, but it can be done

It's unbelievably stupid that noone in the industry had and plans in place to deal with the possibility of this accident, or didn't call the Saudi's and ask them to send over those supertanker skimmers they have, among other things that would have helped. BP and the govt. are both looking like idiots on this one.

I'm usually the guy on a job, that when getting into a risky situation, will say something like "Hey guys, let's take a step back for a minute and think about what we're doing, what are we going to do if this or that happens, ect".
    Of course, that's when the boss will say something like "I don't pay you to think".
    That's probably what happened on the rig.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    The guys at BP are doing what they can... and some of the best minds in the world are there helping.

IMO what Mr Obama needs to do is concentrate on containing the already leaked oil, and let the pro's stop the flow. Seems to me Mr Obama is getting a taste of what Mr Bush dealt with over Katrina... that is a public that cannot be satisfied regardless of what you do.

Someday we need to learn the government is not able to fix everything so we fell good about it.
    Katrina was a natural disaster, this is manmade and a direct result of greed, plain and simple. Where government failed was letting the fox guard the hen house. Big brother contolling our lives is not always the best choice, but in this case, someone needs more than a smack on the rear accompanied by "bad boy!". Our chidren's grand children will be paying for this and there are no good excuses here.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Seems like these days the answer to every problem is more government intervention, never less. Doesn't matter what the problem is. And if something bad happens, it's because government wasn't involved enough in the first place.

I prefer Homer Simpson. The answer to all life's problems can be found in alcohol.

I seen a video where a guy demonstrated switch grass. he poured oil in a bowl of water and and put some switch grass in it and it soaked right up. not sure how you get the switch grass out of the ocean. maybe burn it. He said hay would do it to. I'll try to find the video.

Really, they would have to get it capped before any clean up is going to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    I seen a video where a guy demonstrated switch grass. he poured oil in a bowl of water and and put some switch grass in it and it soaked right up. not sure how you get the switch grass out of the ocean. maybe burn it. He said hay would do it to. I'll try to find the video.

Really, they would have to get it capped before any clean up is going to be effective.
    Okay....I'll bite. What the heck is switch grass and would we have enough of it to bother talking about it?

Switch Grass>>>>> http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...BcK5nAe67_S0Cw

I don't know how abundant it is. I do know it would take a hell of a lot of it. Here's the video >>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7JkFW5nwMQ

He says hay though.

My answer to stop the leak:
    [IMG]http://1.bp.********.com/_uSNpfk4dbL4/SxlTIntrxpI/AAAAAAAAAyg/DEpDNNH8ZYo/s400/Dr+Strangelove+Obama+Riding+Bomb+Down.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Katrina was a natural disaster, this is manmade and a direct result of greed, plain and simple. Where government failed was letting the fox guard the hen house. Big brother contolling our lives is not always the best choice, but in this case, someone needs more than a smack on the rear accompanied by "bad boy!". Our chidren's grand children will be paying for this and there are no good excuses here.
    From the perspective ow how to resolve it, I do not see any difference.

As to trying to villify big oil... I do not see you selling your car and walking...

It is easy to 'arm chair QTBK' anything, however... How much $$$ do you think it is costing to try to cap this mess? And how much revenue has been lost over the oil that has leaked? Do you really think this was on purpose... I surely hope folks are more mature than this.

BTW: BP has spent well over a billion (that is with a B) so far trying to stop the flow... that is a billion they could have used elsewhere.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

The media like to compare this spill with the Exxon Valdez, where it took decades for the environment to recover, actually it still has probably not fully recovered.

But the one silver lining in this is that the gulf is different. The warm water, and the fact that about a couple Exxon Valdez's worth of oil a year naturally seep into the gulf from fissures on the ocean floor have contributed to a large population of bacteria that feed on the oil.

The Ixtoc oil well blow out back in '79 in Mexico dumped oil into the gulf for 9 months at a similar rate as this one, before they could get it stopped.
    Scientists were amazed that after a couple years, the environment was pretty much back to normal.

Not saying this isn't a horrible event, but just maybe that it will not be the armageddon type of catastrophe people think it will be. Hopefully.

But like Obama's people like to say, never let a good crisis go to waste.
    They are wasting no time going after the evil profits of the oil companies, and promoting the rest of their agenda, cap and trade, ect.

November can't come soon enough for me.

BP create so much disaster and "hopefully" they pay the victims.

Lessee...

I run an HVAC company, and do quality work... I install a system on a house. The house has an electrical issue in the wiring just behind the disconnect, and starts a fire... Half the houses on the block burn to the ground as a result...

I guess because I am a 'big bad company', I should pay $m's of $$$ for everyone to lollygag along for as long as they can get away with it... over something that was not intentional...

Shoe kinda does not feel that good on your foot, does it?

Oh, and do not think for a minute that those $Billions that BP is paying out will not be recouped in higher gas prices at the pump, regardless of whether BP even exists. There is NO free lunch... unless you are a politician making promises you know you will not keep.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Put a bunch of fridgies in a room with a couple boxes of timmies and im pretty sure we can figure it out

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast