Thread: newbie...

Hmm

Okay, i know i'm jumping the gun here but, i'm planning on starting school here in the next few month's and i'm wondering what you guys think is the best HVAC field to focus on getting into, and how much should i expect to get paid as a newbie (after reading some of the posts here i'm convinced a lot of companies would jump at the chance to screw me over) and, honestly, is it a job that totally kills family time...as i've read? Because i'm married and i have 4 young boys and i'd rather not lose the years for a few extra dollars. Thanks.
    -rob

It is what you make of it, yes long days sometimes and slow days sometimes.

Burn these words into your grey matter:

Get hired on in a maintenance position on a crew with a facility. Institutional.
    Dont run field service work!
    Dont run heating and cooling calls.
    Dont do installation work.

Definately dont do supermarket refrigeration of any kind!!!

Possibly get on with an outift like Trane or Carrier. Emmerson, who owns Copeland, is a fantastic outfit to work for. They are based in Georgia. They are blooming right now.

I lost two marriages over being out in the field. Of course I love this third wife a lot, it is beyond comprehension how painful it is to give up part of your heart to a failed marriage.
    There are no winners in a divorse.

Field service work puts you right up there in the category with Doctors, Lawyers, Judges ... who all lose wives due to their carreers.

Had I known then what I know now .... I would have chosen differently.
    But had I done that, I would not be here offering advice from my experience and knowledge. Simply because I would never have gained such knowledge WITHOUT being in field service work for so many years.

Inhouse maintenance is like being in the reserves. Being in field service work is like being 82nd AirBorn! Or Navy Seals
    Your an Army of One. Only dif being, you have very little back up, teamwork or support in comparison to being in the military.
    So in essance, you truly are .... an army of just one.

And that means, when you get a call to go somewhere and fix something ... you must literally: "hit the ground running!!!"
    And what you accomplish your job with is usually just what you carry in with your tool bag.

It's differant when you work on big chillers or major pieces of equipment.
    And a lot of these places wont have you on the job during after hours. And that is sweet.
    But in general, what ever is Mission Critical is usually on for 24/7 and service is provided to such machinery on a 24/7 basis.

Choose wisely, "Grasshoper". For the fate of your family and your own future lays in your hands alone.

Thanks bro, that's what i needed. Sorry to hear about your situations, but judging by your ending quote you seem to know what's up. I've also been through a divorce. Again, thank you...
    -rob

[Edited by arizonarob on 07-25-2004 at 04:53 AM]