Hmm

Ok guys, I have a tough one.

I ran accross a replacement bid today. It is to replace the entire system and it has an old Luxaire in the attic. You pull down a false ceiling panel and there it is, with the doors facing down.

SO....I need to find a coil blower that can be installed in the horizontal configuration and with it facing down.

Is there any out there that can be put in like that and still drain properly, that's the only way to do it.

My guess is this guy is in big trouble. I suppose we could put a new one in a closet and run the duct work up to the attic and attatch to the existing plenum but I would rather not do that.

Let me know, thanks in advance.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    I have a tough one. It is to replace the entire system and it has an old Luxaire in the attic. My guess is this guy is in big trouble. I suppose we could put a new one in a closet and run the duct work up to the attic and attatch to the existing plenum.
    There's the answer I'd give. Why open up a can of worms and screw around with something that is going to be a real pain. Do the guy a favor and put a bullet in it. Send it to the grave and start completely new.

How would you work on it with the emergancy drain pan in the way?

I would have to agree with workhorse.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Originally posted by karsthuntr
    How would you work on it with the emergancy drain pan in the way?

I would have to agree with workhorse.
    Can't have one when installed like that. I don't like the idea of mounting it like that at all but I am exploring the options for the customer.

It's not possible to move it to the left or right of the false door and shift the duct over with it?

How about one of those Quatro units? I think Rheem makes/made them.

[Edited by otto on 07-20-2004 at 07:14 AM]
    R2B4BTU

Unless your not subject to any codes there can't install in the attic without secondary drain pan.
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

Check into a goodman ACHP ceiling mounted air handler. Maybe it would work in that application. Its small enough maybe there would be enough room left over for access.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Well, I decided to avoid a major pain in my a$$ he is either going to pay to put it in the basement with a chase running up to the duct work or he'll hire some hack to do it half-assed.

I tried to think of every other way possible, there is none. That's fine, we'll do it right or we won't do it at all.

I had some rental units that had AHU's installed above the ceiling behind a service panel. They were FIRSTCO units. I also started-up 186 of these at a cond in Charlotte, NC. They're pretty good for going into limited space. About 10" height, maybe 2-3 ft. width and about 2 ft. depth front to back. I'm not sure but, I think you can get them through a Carrier dealer.

Not from Carrier. I called our Carrier dist. and they had nothing, along with the Trane dealer and the Heil/tempstar dealer.
    Yeah, we're a Lennox, Goodman, CliamteMaster dealer but we can get anything. Nobody has anything so in the basement it goes.....then I can sell him a dependable Goodman.

Originally posted by william antley
    I had some rental units that had AHU's installed above the ceiling behind a service panel. They were FIRSTCO units. I also started-up 186 of these at a cond in Charlotte, NC. They're pretty good for going into limited space. About 10" height, maybe 2-3 ft. width and about 2 ft. depth front to back. I'm not sure but, I think you can get them through a Carrier dealer.
    I had to replace evap coil on one of these. I had two 18x18 acsess holes to work through. Had to completely dissasmble unit and it took 2 tech's 6 hours, plus another 2 hours(1 person) to vacuum and recharge.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I know what you mean about disassembling them for service. When they were installed in that condo, the installers put them in the ceiling in such a way that, if you had to just change the blower motor, you had to tear out all of the return ducting to remove the blower assembly. We did have an access panel slightly larger than the dimensions of the unit but, the units were all placed off-center of the panel so, you ain't working on any of them! I got them wired and the condensate piped before the sheetrock was put up. Once it went up, it all went down the tubes. No good access anywhere. I'm glad it isn't my problem anymore!