Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Gauges

Question Digital Gauges

I'am currently out of school and looking for a job in HVAC as a Service Tech.I want to purchase a digital gauge that would cover R22,410A or a multitude of refrigerants.I 'am able spend up to $500.00. I just received my "Universal" license and 410A Certification.I dont want spend money fror 2 sets of gauges for R22 and 410A when I can probably have 1 digital. Anyone have recommendations on a quality digital gauge that would last?

Quote Originally Posted by GGIT View Post
    I'am currently out of school and looking for a job in HVAC as a Service Tech.I want to purchase a digital gauge that would cover R22,410A or a multitude of refrigerants.I 'am able spend up to $500.00. I just received my "Universal" license and 410A Certification.I dont want spend money fror 2 sets of gauges for R22 and 410A when I can probably have 1 digital. Anyone have recommendations on a quality digital gauge that would last?
    Alot of gauges have R22 and R410 on the them. The "need " for a separate manifold has more to do with ref. oil than anything else. You could always use a TP chart for other refrigerants. As far as digital goes...I do not own one but I am looking into a Testo. I have heard that Digicool is the best.

Digital Gauges

Thanks for the input.My understanding was not to mixi oils or contaminate hoses and manifolds with 2 types of refrigerants.Therfore the cost for 2 sets of gauges offsets the price of one good set of digital gauges.I will look into digicool and testco.I got the ok from wife to spend the money for fathers day.Any particular models to you recommend to look at for testo and digicool?
    Where's the best place to buy gauge or get a good deal by mail?

gauges

I would suggest getting a regular pair to begin with ... Your goin to need a backup sett anyway ... problems with hoses happen too ... There is so many different tools ... I wouldnt focus on one tool to start off .... Valve core removal tools are one that comes to mind .... You need 2 for pulling deep vac... A good micon gauge ... And theirs always more ....
    Last edited by bob hubbard; 06-12-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

I like your thinking, but what if your new employer buys your tools 100% or covers you for 50%.
    I got the DIGICOOL 1600 that is a little less money and am very happy with it.
    You could go Ebay for a deal since you don't need them this second.
    luck dan

A few thoughts on this.

First of all, Digicool has a New DRSA coming to market pretty soon. Lower price with all the features that you could want.

You might do well to hold your cash for a while.

I did beta testing for Digicool on the Ak-900. It is a nice instrument with all the same features that made digicool popular.

I am actually missing it now that it isn't in my truck, even though I have a DRSA 1200.

I am of the belief that there is NO reason to purchase an analog set of gauges anymore. Buy a quality set of digitals and get to work.

As far as mixing oils and refrigerants, it isn't the issue that it is made out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by danielworkerbee View Post
    I like your thinking, but what if your new employer buys your tools 100% or covers you for 50%.
    I got the DIGICOOL 1600 that is a little less money and am very happy with it.
    You could go Ebay for a deal since you don't need them this second.
    luck dan
    . I had a interview yesterday and the Co provided evac,vacuum pump,ref,nitrogen, acetylene torch ,parts and truck.He told me I would have to buy my own gauges and multimeter. I would be payed by % of what I repaired for billable hrs.The hrs were horrible(3 days a week 7am-10pm) and one Sunday a month(7am-10pm).The medical benefits would not be effective until 6 months with the company.The medical would only cover me and not my wife.Therfore I would have to be without medical for 6 months and buy separate medical insurance for my wife.Consequently I turned down the job mainly because of benefits and 15hr days.

Where in south jersey did you go to school?
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

new hire

. I had a interview yesterday and the Co provided evac,vacuum pump,ref,nitrogen, acetylene torch ,parts and truck.He told me I would have to buy my own gauges and multimeter. I would be payed by % of what I repaired for billable hrs.The hrs were horrible(3 days a week 7am-10pm) and one Sunday a month(7am-10pm).The medical benefits would not be effective until 6 months with the company.The medical would only cover me and not my wife.Therfore I would have to be without medical for 6 months and buy separate medical insurance for my wife.Consequently I turned down the job mainly because of benefits and 15hr days.
    This is a big problem with getting into the hvac field .... The hours such & so does the benifits
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Quote Originally Posted by KLEINman View Post
    Where in south jersey did you go to school?
    I went to Gloucester County Institute of Technology and graduated top of class.I just received my "Universal" license and 410A certification.Trying to find a co. that will hire me.

WARNING: Digital refrigerant gauges can be addicting!

This isn't even all of them. Not pictured is my Digi-Cool BTD-1000, and a piece of crap foisted on the market by a Swiss manufacturer who shall remain nameless.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    WARNING: Digital refrigerant gauges can be addicting!

This isn't even all of them. Not pictured is my Digi-Cool BTD-1000, and a piece of crap foisted on the market by a Swiss manufacturer who shall remain nameless.
    How is the Testo working for you? I'm in a holding pattern until the new Digi-cool comes out . Have to buy my own 'cause I already have 4 sets ...none digital. Looking for input before I buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast