Thread: Recovering R-11

Trying to recover R11 (1800#) with a NRP machine. Got 1500# out mostly liquid. Switched over to vapor the recovery tank pressure shot to 50 # and machine tripped breaker. Heres what I figured and did: machine has a leak and non-condensibles drove pressure up. Turned on purge ran over night and while recovering vapor. Then hooked up relief to vapor valve (of recovery tank)and other end to machine and set relief at 27 psi. I got out about 100# and droped machine to 7 inches. Any helpful hints? BTW it is a CVHF. Thanks
    Kevin

Tough deal to get refrigerant and air out of the chiller. What I have done in the past is put a relief valve from an old style trane purge on the reclaim cylinder and just allow the reclaimer to do its job. Set the relief for about 25 psi and adjust the discharge on the reclaimer so that a solid column of liquid is entering the cylinder. A sight glass is helpful here. If you can get down to 20 inches you will not get much more refrigerant after that.......good luck

What ived done in the past is vent the tanks to the purge unit, then send the liquid back to another tank. I prefer using a water cooled purge, if available so you can cool it with the chilled water. Unless you have a purifier purge you will have to run some hoses.

So if i hook up a couple hoses on the chilled water and not the city water it may help my cause?

Yes it will speed up the process.

try dumping the oil charge into a clean R-11 DRUM MAKES the evacuation easier