North star ice machine

Starting up new North Star and bohn CU, R404 and sporlan level master. Anyone know about level master? The heater (15w) has continuity and power but draws no current. Seems to overfeed because system is not yet fully charged yet suction line ices up through accum. and up to the suction service valve. Ice making is good but running at 150 PSI head and 12 PSI suction at 62 deg ambient. Still flashing in sight glass so is undercharged but unsure if TXV is at fault or?? There is no way to adjust superheat with the TXV so I'm lost.

Air cooled or water?
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Ask Andy Schoen,,,,,,He has forgotton more about Sporlan than I'll ever Know, and I know a few things LOL
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

North Star's are designed to run at -25F SST so it looks like your right on at -26F and at that suction temperature with a flooded evaporator I would expect to see a whole lot of ice on the suction line.

What's your suction superheat? I'll bet you're well over 40F SH which is the max recommended by Heatcraft. You probably haven't got enough juice in it to reach the Levelmaster's sensor yet. Clear the SG and watch your suction SH so it doesn't go below 20F.

You may not clear the sightglass. I've got one running R-22 w/23 degree superheat, suction frosted to the end bell of the compressor, (o6D) and my sight glass flashes constantly. If you try to clear it, suction pressure and head both climb . Water cooled, that's why I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific nw guy View Post
    Starting up new North Star and bohn CU, R404 and sporlan level master. Anyone know about level master? The heater (15w) has continuity and power but draws no current. Seems to overfeed because system is not yet fully charged yet suction line ices up through accum. and up to the suction service valve. Ice making is good but running at 150 PSI head and 12 PSI suction at 62 deg ambient. Still flashing in sight glass so is undercharged but unsure if TXV is at fault or?? There is no way to adjust superheat with the TXV so I'm lost.
    Maybe I am off here ,but shouldn't you fully charge the system and then diagnose any issues?

It's an air cooled CU and yes the system isn't completely charged. I was certain that I was overfeeding because according to North Star the ice machine takes 53# of refrigerant and I was no where near that level. Why would the suction ice clear back to the suction service valve if I was still short charged? I confirmed this morning that the LMC has a defective heater and so they will send me the entire TXV and not just the power head and heater. If I only have 40# in the system at this point, am making ice through the entire evap and yet have 0 SC and a 56 deg SH with flashing SG and obviously am short charged why would the suction line be iced up like that? I guess I'll change the TXV, see how it operates then and add the rest of the charge.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific nw guy View Post
    It's an air cooled CU and yes the system isn't completely charged. I was certain that I was overfeeding because according to North Star the ice machine takes 53# of refrigerant and I was no where near that level. Why would the suction ice clear back to the suction service valve if I was still short charged? I confirmed this morning that the LMC has a defective heater and so they will send me the entire TXV and not just the power head and heater. If I only have 40# in the system at this point, am making ice through the entire evap and yet have 0 SC and a 56 deg SH with flashing SG and obviously am short charged why would the suction line be iced up like that? I guess I'll change the TXV, see how it operates then and add the rest of the charge.
    An undercharged system will cause a suction line to ice up . Why can't you charge the system? who told you to check any readings before a full charge is in place? Who cares about what North Star says...Do you have any idea what you are doing ? How did you determine that the TXV is bad when the system does is not full?

If you're running at 12 psig (-26F) as you originally stated and have 56F SH then your suction gas must be at 30F....ie, cold enough to cause ice.

I'm curious though, how did you confirm the bad heater? (I'm not terribly familiar with the Levelmaster, although I've worked with them a couple of times.)

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    Maybe I am off here ,but shouldn't you fully charge the system and then diagnose any issues?
    I guess I am! I'm gonna leave this abortion alone!

Icemeister...no amp draw. 15w heater at 120v should draw .125 amps. The ohm reading through the heater also wasn't correct. Should be about 960 ohms. Thanks for being professional, helpful and respectful!

Another point here...

This is a flooded evaporator, so I believe they're using skimmers for returning oil (It's been a while) because the oil tends to float to the top of the liquid level.

If you're not fully charged you're liquid level likely isn't high enough for any oil return to the compressor.

I suggest not running this machine until you get the Levelmaster and the charge straightened out.