Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    One thing that really interested me in JCI is the new stuff that York is coming out with as far as vfd's on their chillers. They have screws and centifiugals that run up to 200hz, 1000+ hp 4160v drives on centrifugals, retrofitting any Trane or Carrier centrifugal to their panel and drives. I have already been told I will be going to school for all of this. So I looked at it as a opertunity to gain more knowledge and experience to better myself. No I have not drank the blue kool and in a few years if things should sour I will look back at all that I have learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tPhaseMe View Post
    One thing that really interested me in JCI is the new stuff that York is coming out with as far as vfd's on their chillers. They have screws and centifiugals that run up to 200hz, 1000+ hp 4160v drives on centrifugals, retrofitting any Trane or Carrier centrifugal to their panel and drives. I have already been told I will be going to school for all of this. So I looked at it as a opertunity to gain more knowledge and experience to better myself. No I have not drank the blue kool and in a few years if things should sour I will look back at all that I have learned and move on.
    That is what i did even completed the York step program which for the ones who have, know its a sick amount of work.
    The VSD class hopefully you will get to meet Karl Barely Not sure i spelled his name right, this man is all that. Saying he is brilliant would be an understatement. If you do any warranty work on the drives you will dealing with him. Dont be afraid to ask him a question he is extremely helpful.
    Put in a new pole assembly under warranty, it ramped up around 40 hertz and i heard this loud Bang that came from the optispeed panel, My heart dropped . Long story short I called Karl and we think it was possibly damaged during shipment do to the hold down lag bolt missing on one side and the other bent radically. Needless to say i was extremely nervous pushing the button on the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by pringlel View Post
    That is what i did even completed the York step program which for the ones who have, know its a sick amount of work.
    The VSD class hopefully you will get to meet Karl Barely Not sure i spelled his name right, this man is all that. Saying he is brilliant would be an understatement. If you do any warranty work on the drives you will dealing with him. Dont be afraid to ask him a question he is extremely helpful.
    Put in a new pole assembly under warranty, it ramped up around 40 hertz and i heard this loud Bang that came from the optispeed panel, My heart dropped . Long story short I called Karl and we think it was possibly damaged during shipment do to the hold down lag bolt missing on one side and the other bent radically. Needless to say i was extremely nervous pushing the button on the replacement.
    That is the kind of thing that really gets my interest and where I want to go for the rest of my career. I seen it as something I would not get with a smaller shop as compared to working for an OEM.
    I worked for a Trane franchise before and they wanted no parts in training anybody but expected you to know and do everything. Had one school in 7 years and I was a lucky one. A 50 million dollar company with 40+ mechanics had a training budget of $50k a year and they were proud to make that known too. They probably spend more in a year for the janitorial service to clean the office than investing in their employees. That was a reason why I decided not to go back there.

Only time will tell how things work out, and my crystal ball broke. But things are what we make out of them too. Only you know what is best for you. Good luck.

I'm another grunt work for JCI. I actually don't mind it, sure the big business politics can be a ton of headache, but it's part of the game.

Seems like every branch is different despite it being one company. Some are better to work for than others, and depends on your area, there may be better companies to work for than others.

In my area, I get to work on stuff I'd never get to even look at if I were at about any other company. I've learned a TON from the guys I work with, and over all my coworkers and people directly above me are great to work with/for.

Course, I started well after a few of their big changes, so I didn't get to see how great it was before.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Any updates on this post ? I am considering a position with JCI and would like to know how Dont Phase me is doing
    An air conditioning or refrigeration unit never signs a check for me! PEOPLE do that,and you should never allow yourself to forget that WE fix the problems of people,not machines.They are at the heart of our business,one way or another,and polishing the skills required to provide solid customer service will never be a waste of your time

He is doing fine , as for working for JCI if you feel good about what your hearing from them then go for it you could always leave if you don't like it seems like that is what everybody else did.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

They seem to be interested and said they have a hard time finding qualified guys in the Texas market as hot as it is here i am suprised lol ... so he works for jci ? I see your with york ,i was offered to check out york here in texas about 7 yrs ago but never did and i have been trying to get on with jci for 9 months now and applied for a lot of positions but never got a bite till now i am a fan of making a good living and having good benifits . work is work ...i do HVAC because when i am done with a job someone is always happy :0) ..Its a bit scary starting with anything new and not sure how things work in a company like jci . so its nice to see that guys work there for a long time and like it cause i dont like ma and pa shops where they keep all the money and act like everyone is out to take their customers lol
    An air conditioning or refrigeration unit never signs a check for me! PEOPLE do that,and you should never allow yourself to forget that WE fix the problems of people,not machines.They are at the heart of our business,one way or another,and polishing the skills required to provide solid customer service will never be a waste of your time

I currently work at JCI,five years now. I have worked in the commercial industry for 25 yrs. I was with small shop 3yrs, mid range 13 yrs and have been corporate 9yrs. JCI is big business and is very money driven, there are share holders to answer to. A mechanic at JCI has to be more accountable for all work being performed. There is a lot of coaching from corporate for accountability and customer satisfaction. All big business does this. At JCI there are opportunities for those that strive for them. I see mechanics complain about lack of training. They are also the ones that never take overtime,answer the phone after 3 pm, show up on time, appreciate what they have and complain constantly. There are also mechanics that assist others, answer the phone, learn on off time, request additional company training and career advice/support from Supervisors. JCI has been around for a long time. They will be around after us. No matter what company you work for ,show up on time,leave on time,take care of all equipment like it is yours, follow the rules and take advantage of all educational opportunities. No one can take away what you learn. This will give you a great career whoever you work for.

Yes he is JCI and I was original York before the take over but not any more at some point in life you have to make a choice what you want to do and where you want to be and I no longer wanted to be a part of that organization , but as people have stated her read some threads about JCI culture and make some choices of your own mabey it will work out for you because JCI isn't for everybody.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

I just left JCI......Literally got to the point where "enough is enough"....

When I was a system rep...it was "OK", because you dont play the shop politics game, but then I got a promotion to LSS......and was sold on all the great things that come with it.......only thing they didn't tell me was.....all those great things never show up.

I got sick of being responsible for the financials of the jobs, chasing money, not having the manpower with the knowledge needed to get jobs done, coming home and getting back on the computer to 50 plus e-mails from Mech Contractors everyday.....etc...
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

Quote Originally Posted by rednecktech View Post
    Any updates on this post ? I am considering a position with JCI and would like to know how Dont Phase me is doing
    I am doing good, thanks for asking. It took a while to get adjusted from the shock of being laid off. Part of me for a time wanted to go back to my old job but that would have been a big mistake. I actually like it here now, and I don't mind going to work. They sent me to Houston and York already for training. Yeah you have the big company bs but I don't let it get caught up in it. We have a pretty good branch and if my old employer called me back again the answer would be no thanks again without any hesistation.

One thing they do is put all the safety libability on you. You must wear cut resistant gloves, bump cap and safety glasses when you get out of your truck (but no one does). If you get hurt you better make sure you had your ppe on. Violations include warnings, suspensions and terninations and you sign a piece of paper acknowledgeing it.

JC is better than many outfits,at least they never screw with your pay/hours, the money and benies are OK and if you do your job,follow their rules,show up to work on time and so on chances are you do well there

Loved working at York! JCI bought it and I stayed another year or so. They took half my vacation time away and all of my holiday pay. Couldn't hardly get my union raises, last one took 5mths. Some people love it, some don't. I didn't!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast