looking for quiet supply registers

My current system has the cheap stamped registers, which are quite noisy. When I remove the register its silent. What are some good options for quiet registers? Thanks.

Greater spacing or less velocity.

Yes, but big box stores rarely have them. You cna search some online HVAC supply places but you'll have ot know hte correct size.

To further reduce noise, you can also increase the size of the register usually by changing out the boot where it connect to the ductwork, but will require drywall work.

Keep in mind that increasing airflow may change the balance between rooms. Usuually noisy register have too much air going ot them, so the room will become overconditioned.

If you have access to the ductwork, you can add dampers to reduce airflwo to that branch with will send more to the other branches.

In most of the registers are noisy, you may need to change them all out.

I wish it was a simple answer.

I can't tell you which website to go to, it's against the rules and unfair to local contractors. That being said, yu may want ot have a rpo come out that knows how ot balance and size ductwork and see what changes he's recommend to "dial in" the systems airflow. Hoenstly, it's sort of become a hobby of mine. I've modified ductwork, registers isntalled larger boots, etc. in both homes I've owned. I've never failed to get all roooms within 0.5F under most conditions even without running the fan continously.

Look into Hart-Cooley commercial line, I use the 821 series in my own house. You won't find them at the big box stores.
    http://www.hartandcooley.com/Product...d-grilles.aspx

I use the Hart & Cooley A-618. The Lima 100-M works well too, but it is steel, I prefer aluminum registers. The wider the spacing between the fins, the quieter the register. Air foil vanes help.

It depends on the register configuration and size as to what model you can get. Measure the boot size, that is how you buy your registers. Stay away from most ornamental (Brass & Wood) registers, as they are restrictive and noisy.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Try SW Anderson Sales in Farmingdale.

Try needle nose pliers and open them up alittle,not alot. Sound will go away.

The answer to your question is, it all depends!

What's the total static of the system? This is an important piece of data because spending money on new registers could be money wasted. Designing for quiet operation is a science, described in Manual 'D'. But knowing the total static of the system can tell an educated designer where problems may lay in your system. It could well be that the air velocity of the system is too high and that's what's creating the noise. Or it could be that the boots are too small doing the same thing, creating high velocity and noise. Or you can just guess and hope the money spent isn't wasted.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    The answer to your question is, it all depends!

What's the total static of the system? This is an important piece of data because spending money on new registers could be money wasted. Designing for quiet operation is a science, described in Manual 'D'. But knowing the total static of the system can tell an educated designer where problems may lay in your system. It could well be that the air velocity of the system is too high and that's what's creating the noise. Or it could be that the boots are too small doing the same thing, creating high velocity and noise. Or you can just guess and hope the money spent isn't wasted.
    Finally someone with the correct answer, grills are noisy because they have too much air moving through them. Determine the actual airflow of the system and then determine the actual capacity of the ductwork.

It is certainly true that certain grills (curved blade steel or Al.)will move more air than others the correct assessment comes in the airflow profile.

So I took original grill, removed the damper, and opened the louvers a bit....quiet now! I don't need the damper, each run has one at the manifold.