+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R12 to R22 REPLACEMENT

Post Likes

Hmm

Gentlemen,
    We just replaced a R12 refrigerator system with a R22 condensing unit.We were told to replace the expansion valve and we did the usual drier replacement and evac and so on. This was not a burn out.The system had a leak so we replaced the condensor to r22. Its water cooled with a water reg valve, pump down via solenoid by stat.

Unit is 3/4 hp and was charged to clear sight glass. Reg valve set to 210LBS. This is a refrig, not freezer.The problem, the evap freezes up at the bottom, about 1/3 of the way up.So only the upper 2/3 passes air through coil.

Any reccomendations?????
    "My hands are for sale"

Post Likes
    Is the drain plugged?

Post Likes

R22

Sounds like your starving the coil. Would help if you posted some P/T readings on system. Should watch for oversized piping using 22. Can cause oil return problems.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes

Hmm

SELF
    Box maintains around 40F. Pipe run very short, cond sits right on top of box lines right down to evap.. No signs of frost on comp or suction line. since this is a refrigerator and system has defrost timer, how often would you defrost a refrigerator like this per day?
    "My hands are for sale"

Post Likes
    Can you tell me the name brand and model of your TXV?

Can you tell me the name brand of the evap coil?

Did you check inside the coil distributor to see if it has an R-12 orifice spud?

Can you tell me what your subcooling is with this water cooled unit and did you take superheat calculations near the TXV bulb?

Are there any problems with the box with air infiltration or door closer problems?

Is this box located in a high RH area?

R-22 air-over defrost...fans running during defrost
    4 X 30 minutes a day.

Post Likes

Defrosts

2-3 for 30 min. under heavy entering load or occupancy. Usually pump down in off cycle for better defrost on coolers with or without timer.

Post Likes
    If the coil has a distributor that was originaly sized for R-12 you may need to resize and replace the distributor. Orfice sizes for r-22 are typically only 2/3 that of r-12. could be causing a flow problem to the coil circuits. Also your distributor tubes may bee slightly large. The distributor and tubes are the second half of the metering device after the TXV.

Post Likes

RD2479

Well I missed that completly (nozzle). I'll blame it on the bump on my head.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in