+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aggravating service call

Post Likes
    Went to do a PM today. EAC is out of commission and customer decides on the Honeywell media. Checked blower, it's caked so I pull it to clean. Looked up through furnace to check evap and find that the insulation came loose and is now blocking 50% of a 5 ton coil. Customer is there the whole time asking "Why didn't anyone else ever notice this?". We have been doing the PM's there for years.

Furnace is 15 years old and will require extensive repairs so we decide to just put it back together for now. It pisses me off that this has been overlooked for so long. I know this didn't just happen. I just hope it doesn't all come down on my butt for doing my job. When I do a PM I check everything that needs checking. If a blower is dirty I pull it for cleaning and I always look up at the evap. Maybe I need to lower my standards and just do a 15 minute PM.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Otto, Don't lower your standards. You did the right thing, by giving the customer his money's worth. If you catch some crap over this, make sure you let your boss know that the other guys haven't been doing their jobs.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Post Likes
    Don't let it get to ya Spent most of the day splitting and washing condensor coils in a place we just did the pm last week.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by chucko615
    Otto, Don't lower your standards. You did the right thing, by giving the customer his money's worth. If you catch some crap over this, make sure you let your boss know that the other guys haven't been doing their jobs.

The only problem with that is pissing the coworkers off. Thats nto a good situation. Been there done that....
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Post Likes
    On pm's, everytime I look at a blower wheel I see a coating of dust/dirt and know that it is not scooping air as it should. "But then I look at the filter they are using and I know why or look at the rest of the basement and know that crud moves."

And the blower motor is covered in dust/lint. At this point I inform the customer about the situation and the extra cost involved to thorougly clean the blower assembly. Half don't want it done. So be it. I write it up that way.

And then you pull and clean the whole thing and you get a callback because there is now air noise......must of been something you done, right?

As for coworkers, well, it's best to cover up for each other. Each of us has our own specialties and you soon find out who does what and who doesn't do something and then you double check others. All works out in the end.

Keep the peace.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in