Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Need a little help from the crew. I have a sidewinder on a new account of mine and don't have any info for it.

Starter is a Cutler-Hammer. This is apparently an open transition as there are no resistors, but I'm not really sure what the difference is between open and closed.

What should the oil level be in the sight glass? and what should the oil temp. be?

I was told the cond. and cooler approach should be 10 degrees or so. Is this correct?

I ordered the design information from Trane so I could verify proper flows through both barrels.

I'm not that familiar with Trane equipment so this is a learning curve for me. Thanks for any help you can give.

Oil level should be about half the glass and approx 130F. Oil after the oil cooler should be 105F to 110F. Most older chillers were designed with a 10 degree approach at full load. The approach is almost linear with the load. If you supply the model number I have the design criteria for most of the sidewinders. This will give you minimum and maximum flows for each bundle.

on open transition when it is switching the current goes to nothing for a split second, while on close transition the resistor take in the current for a split second. from what i was told it helps the rest of the building from spikes. on old machines your approach could be close to 14 degrees. other than that hw chiller is correct.

M/n PCV-3F-C2D2
    S/N L2J15732
    Oil is a couple of inches below the glass. Unit was at full load. Is it possible to log oil in the cooler on these? On some of the Carriers I have encountered they use an eductor to skim the oil out of the cooler. Have to take my daughter to tumbling, will check in later tonight. Thanks again for the info.

Thumbs up All good info above!!!

Make sure the oil return valve is open under the volute going back into the tank and that the line isnt plugged. You should get good oil return at full load if the compressor is fairly decent. If that line is clear up you may want to add an eductor to the chiller if someone hasnt already. I can send you the service bullitan on eductors if you need it.
    Originally posted by jon harmon
    M/n PCV-3F-C2D2
    S/N L2J15732
    Oil is a couple of inches below the glass. Unit was at full load. Is it possible to log oil in the cooler on these? On some of the Carriers I have encountered they use an eductor to skim the oil out of the cooler. Have to take my daughter to tumbling, will check in later tonight. Thanks again for the info.

Yes you can log up oil if it was runing unloaded for a long period of time. If you are two inches below the sight glass and running full load the oil should all come back over night. I would check it in the morning (assuming it ran full load all night) and only add oil at that time. Trane recommends there 22 oil. I have used that where foaming was a problem, but have also had good success with Esso Polar WF 55 oil. Don't know what is available in your area. These are very simple and reliable chillers. Your chiller is a nominal 350 tons.You did not mention if it was a two or one pass - I will assume two pass on both cooler and condenser. Maximun GPM thru cooler is 972 GPM and minimum is 265 GPM. Max thru condenser is 1215 GPM and minimum is 332 GPM. I will try to extrapolate the pressure drops for you.

Condenser:
    2 Ft. water = 325 GPM
    20 Ft. water = 1250 GPM

Cooler
    3 Ft. water = 275 GPM
    25 Ft. Water = 900 GPM

This should give you some idea for proper flows. It has been my experience that if the one of the vessels has a water flow approaching maximum GPM, then the other vessel's GPM should also be approaching maximum or the possibility for surge becomes high. If you have never heard one of these babies surge you are in for a real eye opener. A very loud squeal to be sure.

good luck

What kind of cond. water temp do you have. Check your cond pressure, needs to stay positive pressure for the buffer seal or you will lose oil.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

I just got back from the movies. My daughter's wanted to see 13 t0 30. That was not only a chick flick, but a teen chick flick.

It is a two pass and I didn't log the unit today. It is running fine now, 9lbs. of head. Will check approachs and needed measurements on the next trip. Thanks again!

Hi Jon, not to be a dick, but are you low balling chiller service companies and coming on here asking how to fix them or did you inherit a job that has centrifugals.I only ask because I work for a chiller service company and it erks me when I have to bid against guys at 1/2 our labour rate.To me , it makes a big differance on giving advice.

Lets hear it Jon, I'm with AC on this one. Tell us it ain't so.

acjourneyman if you would have read the original post you would have seen that it is a new account of my companies. A very good UA signatory contractor. I personally am not that experienced with centrifugal's having only done a few teardowns when I was with Carrier. I posted here because in the past I have read alot intelligent posts from fellow journeyman, including some of yours. The bulk of my experience has been with Carrier 23xl's and 30 series screws and tons of recip. I can appreciate your concern regarding low balling companies and the techs that are willing to settle for less than appropriate wages and benefits. I asked the questions because I did not get much response from Trane and I know the knowledge and experience reside in this forum.

Fair enough, we just have to deal with ma and pa shops here competing in the chiller market when they don't even have low pressure reclaim equipment and it drives me crazy.As a fellow UA member I will be glad to help when I can but just had to check.I would not be happy if a local residential company was doing that to me here.

ACJMAN, not to be a dick but, do you think anybody can pick up enough information online to cut the mustard servicing these kinds of machines? I read alot of posts here and elsewhere and the posers and noobs stick out pretty good with the types of questions asked... I have never felt threatened by anybody in my field because you either have what it takes or you don't, the marketplace sorts out the hacks pretty quickly, especially with the types of machines you work on. I also fail to see what the union aspect has to do with it... I've met guys in the local that I would'nt allow to walk my dog, and guys from open shops that know their stuff frontwards and backwards... aint we all brothers after all? :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast