+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mold on grills

Post Likes
    Hello - I'm hopeful someone can offer advice. We purchased this house three months ago - it is approx. 60 years old, galvanized/metal duct work was probably installed in the mid 60s. The HVAC unit itself (Carrier A/C - Furnace combo) is probably 3-5 years old and includes a UV light system that is located at the return according to the A/C tech sent by the home warranty company.

Approx. 6 weeks ago we noticed mold growth on the grill in the downstairs bathroom. We returned from one-week vacation at the end of June and mold is now on almost all of the grills although not as bad as what is in the bathroom (temp on A/C was 80 degrees while we were gone if that makes any difference). The A/C tech sent by the home warranty company says that the unit is in fine shape and that he suspected mold in the duct work. The home warranty says such work is considered routine maintenance and is not covered.

We called 2 duct cleaning companies - both reps said we have mold in duct work (neither removed even 1 grill) and offered to clean the duct work for between $700-850 using vacuum/big brush method that is described on EPA/NADCA websites (I apologize for my simplistic terms). Both said they would use Fosters 40-20 on all insulated areas - the first company said they would fog with Fosters 40-80 into clean ducts.

What is a good course of action? What additional questions should I be asking? Is cleaning of ducts necessary?

Thanks for any advice that can be offered!

Catherine in New Orleans

Post Likes
    Your house is too cold. Raise the stat a couple degrees.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    Grills/ducts are that are wet for more than a couple days grow mold. You live in wet climate. Get %RH meter and track the temperature and %RH. High indoor %RH allows the grills to sweat during the off cycle of the a/c. Less than 50%RH inside decreases the amount of condensate on the grill. Operating your fan in the "on" mode also helps dry the ducts/grill during the none-a/c time. Drying the coil/ducts with the fan unfortunately raises the indoor humidity levels above 50%RH.
    One of the solutions to this problem requires a whole house dehumidifier connected to the a/c ducts. The unit circulates dry air throughout the home via the a/c ducts when the home or ducts are wet. Keeping the home <50%RH is very comfortable and allows a warmer indoor air temperature.

This an example of the equipment available.
    Several models are avialable from many manufactures.
    http://www.thermastor.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=245

Post Likes

mold on grills

I know this may be a silly question, but what is a %RH meter? Also, why would Steve say my house is too cold - I would think that 80 degrees in a humid climate might be too warm.

Thanks for the info.

Catherine

Earth, 20th century, North America, Texas. HVAC tech in late 70s.
    Post Likes
    %RH is for "percentage of Relative Humidity", a measurement of air humidity. You can get one at stores like Walmart, it's called hygrometer. It usually measures both temperature and humidity. It's around $20 for a cheapo version.

Post Likes
    If your grills are painted, discard them and replace with new ones with a factory finish. Do not paint with Latex paint.

Gone on vacation for a week and temps set at 80 degrees in a humid climate. Without A/C you had no dehumidification so mold grew on painted grills or dirt on the grills.

I believe another failure will be discovered. You will have a large opening in the duct system somewhere . . . possibly at the location where the UV light was installed.

You're fortunate to have rigid ducts, they are easily cleanable.

Good luck,
    Frank

Post Likes
    Remove some of your grilles and look inside of the attached ductwork. If the mold/mildew problem is only on the grilles then cleaning the ducts is not the solution. Mildew growth on the grilles is usually caused from condensation on those grilles. There are several factors that can cause condensation on the grilles and you should be looking for the cause of the condensation problem. Be sure that whoever looks at your system can explain to you what is causing the problem so that you understand exactly what you are dealing with. If they cannot explain properly then keep searching until you find someone who can. BB

Post Likes
    Just a thought, like was said air too cold. Like maybe because of a plugged up filter or dirty coil and not moving enough air? or what if the duct is not insulated very well, could it be sweating?

Post Likes
    Duct cleaning is not helpful in this situation, or any other for thst mstter, least of all a condensation problem. "Air too cold" makes me scratch my head since we are talking about a/c. Lowering RH is the answer, and the causes can be many. Ask for referrals to a reputable hvac contractor to find the solution. Good luck.

Post Likes
    I have a similar situation mold on paited grills and on painted ceilings near air handling unit. Ducts were cleaned and grills replaced. This has made everything great for now until summer comes again. I think the moisture is coming from the ducts sweating, will insulating the ducts correct this problem ???

Post Likes
    Catherine....

Does your furnace have a variable speed motor? If so, all that may be needed is a little caulk.

I recommend sealing the gap that MAY exist between the boot of the register & the ceiling. Just an idea that's worked for me in the past....

Post Likes
    Did you find a R.H. / Temp. meter at Walmart or HomeDepot? I have one located next to my clock in the bedroom, This way I check at least twice each day. Teddy bear has many post on this subject, you can do a search to find other post too.

Post Likes
    Mold is ALIVE it wont just go away mold produces spores. so small that only static electric filters of true hepas can catch them. MILLIONS OF SPORES EVERYWHERE. Mold needs only two things to live water and food allow me to give examples of each:
    water: there are up to 110 grains of moisture of water in one pound of 70 degree air (thats a lot when your a spore of mold millionths of an inch in size)infinite. it gets higher the warmer you go (warm air is more humid typicallly.

food:dead skin cells, pollen, dander, drywall dust, smoke reside, oils, fabric particles, ANYTHING that can and does biodegrade is food for mold. these things are so common i duct work and on every surface of your house.

MOOLD CAN KILL new research says that childern with developing lungs 0-14 years that are exposed to certain strains of mold are 120 times more likely to have ashsma and allergies.(do the reaseach your self you dont belive me)

THERE IS HOPE we have to do three things at this point get the spores out or dead , kill the living mold and keep it from coming back

Mold has enimies
    BLEACH
    SUNLIGHT(UV-RADIATION)
    DRY AIR

I CAN TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU TELL ME THE FOLLOWING:
    what kind of furnace ie: where is the filter
    which way is air flow
    how manny btus of approxamate size of ducts supply and return
    size of the house
    geographical location so important for humidity
    kind of house basment,slab,crawl,
    are the grilles painted
    where are the grilles located floor walls cellings

How adiment you are about keeping this problem from happening again

How much are you willing to pay to fix it

Please dont be freaked out im not trying to scare you into duct cleaning i just want you to realize that mold can be a VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM thankyou

Post Likes
    In response to the previous post:

furnace is located in 2nd story attic - change filter in downstairs hallway
    no idea re btus - duct size approx 8 inches metal
    round grills are located on ceiling - some have been painted, some have not
    we're in New Orleans - obviously a very humid place
    house is approx 1800 sq ft
    no basement - house is raised on piers

Personally i think that it is a humidity problem - one that existed prior to our purchase of the house. The last owners installed a new furnace with the UV light system about a year prior to selling. One of the companies that came out to provide an estimate noticed a patch on the exposed duct work in the second floor and said it appeared some of that Foster's stuff had been sprayed in that duct work - therefore it seems likely that previous owners had ducts cleaned.

I really appreciate all the advice everyone has provided - thank you.

Catherine

Post Likes
    My mom in Florida swears by Space Gard air filters to reduce dust and mold spores? Would this be worth looking into as well?

Catherine

Post Likes
    spend lots of time reading here, at EPA.gov, etc.

cheapest RH gauge from reptile pet store <$10.

one can tell lots by looking!! all seams & joints need to be sealed with duct mastic. all ducts not in the conditioned space should be insulated with 3" tk, those joints sealed.

Post Likes
    I have been doing Mold consulting for over 13 years, work with two of the leading Mycologist in the country (probably the world and can add a few bits of information.)

Everything you have seen posted in reply to your question is true. (though mold itself unless ingested can't kill you directly - you have to have an active allergy to the particular concentration of the exact type of mold growing for that it to cause an allergic reaction. This is documented by over 35 year of date collection by the Mycology Department at the University of Florida and Recent independent studies done by the University of Michigan.)

If the air was turned off during your vacation and the humidity went up, then a mold colony could become apparent.
    If the air is too cold on the grill, from low air volume, and it cools the metal to the point of condensation, then a mold colony could become apparent. (a colony is just a term used to describe the area of growth - it can be as small as the point of a straight pin, or as large as a wall). If the paint is organic based the mold could use it for food, if it is non-organic the mold is simply growing on top of it.

The big thing is - Has this caused you or any one in your family health problems? Headaches, excessive tiredness, eye irratation, breathing problems.

If not - the first step is to take a clean (new) sponge put some bleach (cholorine has to be in it) and simple clean the area. The cholorine will kill the mold it touches. If you are sensative to it, use gloves and a nuisance mask (bought at the local hardware store normally used for painting.) See if it goes away - it could be a very local problem. If not them move foward with other actions.

Have the A/C coil cleaned. The drain pan is an excellent place for a source colony.

A good filter can remove lots of mold spores (Space Guard is a good brand, but by no means the only one with that will help.) Keep the filter clean, change it monthly for a while.

If the mold still grows have the ducts cleaned. The mold can't actually grow on the metal duct. There has to be dust present for it to grow on. (the Foster coating is to help prevent dust collection on the internal insulation.)

If the duct is not insulated properly have it done. Improper insulation can allow condensation which the mold needs to grow (Moisture and Organic food source are the two things mold has to have.)

The paint if it is based on a natural substance can be the food source. If after all that the mold grows back and it causes Health problems then change out the grilles.

I have worked on over 350 mold cases. None of them have been completely like another. Each case is a little different and the one thing I will recommend it that you realize that fact. If it doesn't cause immediate health problems don't let any tell you it is going to kill you. That simply isn't true. MOLD is everywhere. Many times the concentration is substantially higher outdoors than it is indoors. (In New Orleans about 6 months out of the year according to air quality indexes kept by the National Weather Service.) So take the most reasonable approach for you and your situation.

If it isn't causing health problems deal with it sequentially. Start at the visible and move outward from there. Start with the most affordable solution and work upward from there.

If it is causing health problems: Find out what is in the air through professional sampling. (Both contact swabs and air compaction testing) But be careful not everyone knows how to properly do this. The safest bet is to use a Certified Industrial Hygenist, or get some one from Tulane who has familiarity with sampling to do it. (I will also offer my services at cost, no profit, no labor, just expenses to come sample it and then have the samples quanititaed and ID). Move the person away from the visible growth areas, and keep them away. Sometimes this means moving to a different room, sometimes to a different building. But again don't let scare tactics make you do anything you don't feel the need to. Reasonableness is the best approach.

Post Likes
    bldgcode1 good post

Post Likes
    Thank Binford.

I know there are some who have started working with mold in the last three or fours years who disagree but all of the old timers I have met and worked with say the same thing. And it is the most reasonable thing. Least Expensive to most. Visible to unaccesible (not visible)as a standard approach. UNLESS there are immediate health problems which indicate a severe allergy (or asthma). Then you have to a take a more aggresive route.

Post Likes
    Yes , thank you bldgcode 1 for being the voice of reason. The majority of posters have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Catherine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in