Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT pay???

I'm a new tech working in the Chicago area. I just ran into another one of the many quesions I'll think of in the coming weeks. What is the "norm" for overtime pay...after 40 hours per week or after 8 hours per day? Thanks.

Time and a half.

Standard around the country.

Emergancy service call pay varies from company to company.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

It varies. Union......work 8 and then go to overtime. Non-union.........work 40 and then go to overtime. That is sort of a general rule I have established based on conversations I have had with people around the country. It may be different in different areas, but I would say that what I said above is pretty much the norm.

Question

I dont make 1 dime at hourly pay but i worked for the Co. until 8:30 pm. How much did i earn? (EARN!)

oil-2-4-6-gas is offline Professional Member b&M _email server rejected
    we're non union we used to have time 1/2 after 40 but we changed to o/t after 8 hrs/ after midnight double time /holiday triple time --

Anything over 8 in a day is OT for us. So is anything before or after hours or on the weekend, regardless of hours worked.

Holiday is double.

Illinois law dictates OT after 40 regular hours. Holiday pay does not count as part of the 40. Weekends are OT if you have your 40 in the week unless it's co's fault you didn't get 40. 597 Pipefitters are OT after 8.

Our co gives OT whenever a customer pays OT. Emergency service pays from the time you leave your house to the time you finish the job.

If you're not getting your OT after 40 hours of regular work then call the department of labor. Many people have worked hard and some even gave their lives to get these laws passed. It's not right for an employer to try to get around paying you OT. It is the cost of doing business.

[Edited by otto on 07-21-2004 at 06:22 AM]
    R2B4BTU

Thanks for the OT info...

My concern with the "after 40 per week" basis is that...if I work overtime everyday then have to take Friday off for a doctor appointment etc. and I take a big hit pay wise because I lose all my OT for that week...doesn't seem fair. After 8 per day seems to solve that problem, but trying to get a non-union owner to agree seems to be a problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks, the new guy.

Re: Thanks for the OT info...

Originally posted by gasitup
    My concern with the "after 40 per week" basis is that...if I work overtime everyday then have to take Friday off for a doctor appointment etc. and I take a big hit pay wise because I lose all my OT for that week...doesn't seem fair. After 8 per day seems to solve that problem, but trying to get a non-union owner to agree seems to be a problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks, the new guy.
    Unfortunatally that is how it is. Every non-union job I have worked has been OT after 40. I worked 1 union job and that was OT after 8. Yes you do get screwed if you work 40 hours in 4 days and get sick on the 5th day. Like I said though..... that is just how it is out there in this evil world of ours !!

How about the boss who runs you 12-14 hours a day the first part of the week to catch up then sends you home early on thursday regardless of outstanding work because the CFO decided no overtime this week?

Where i used to work we got OT before 8 am or after 4:30 pm even if we did not work at all during the day!

where's Robo when you need him...he'll be able to justify it. i'm sure it's somehow the unions fault.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Originally posted by Freezeking2000
    Where i used to work we got OT before 8 am or after 4:30 pm even if we did not work at all during the day!
    That's how it is for us. We're non-union. Work late into the night the day before and call in a "sleep card". Start your day late the next day, 4:30 if you want, and it's all O.T the rest of the week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast