Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: union?

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Just to show I do want to be helpful;
    http://www.unionpriv.org/about/layoff.cfm

Been working as a union service mechanic for 15 years robo.....NEVER been laid off. Good try though.

Smae here robo been union 6 years, never even had to worry about it, plus it just goes to show you that the union is willing to help in those situations. Dont see any other employers doing that now do you.And the union will also help place you into another position if you were to get laid off. But its a matter of choice and to each his own. It only cost me $32.00 per month for dues and I am rewarded with almost $100,000.00 per year in salary. Not bad for a service tech. in florida. Let me know if there is any non union employers that can afford to pay this kind of wage in Florida. Not to mention the company pension retirement, plus the matched 401k, medical,dental,vision,and life insurances. Oh yea and company truck that I get to take home.

Which union are you guys in? How did you get in?

Just to show I do want to be helpful;
    http://www.unionpriv.org/about/layoff.cfm

i've been in the union for 13 years so far, so good. you have to be where there is work. if there's no work you gonna get laid-off union or not. nobody i know of is gonna pay you to stand around.

do yourself a favor... go sign up at all the union halls...plumbers, electrician, pipefitters ,carpenters, etc. if you learn a trade and are good you will always work. there are lots of union contractors out there that need good help. somebody has got to do the work.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

The Union got me back to the lake... If it were not for them then I would still be in a dead end place.

I'm always glad to hear when individuals are doing well in unionized work forces, the same as I am glad to hear the many, many more merit shop workers are doing well in merit shop jobs. Around my way, when the unions lay off the union workers come hounding merit shops to hire them under the table until the layoff or strike is over. In other words, the loyalty is strictly to themselves.

Crystal Lee Sutton (AKA Norma Rae) has done well through the union After helping the unions do damage to the textile industry to the point that no one else had a job ole Crystal went to work for the union itself.

I've had every oportunity to join the union through family members who could have made my way easy. I don't blame others for taking as much money as they can when they can but as for me I just could not support an organization that I feel is destroying this countries economy and ability to trade on a worldwide scale.

Just my opinion, but if unionizing is so right; why is there such a low percentage of union workers? The answer is that this country cannot support the cost of unions.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Just my opinion, but if unionizing is so right; why is there such a low percentage of union workers? The answer is that this country cannot support the cost of unions.
    Or the answer is this country can't support twenty million dollar mansions, and Unions
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

there mostly union where i am...........
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Is it easier to get in one union over another? I just figured the sheetmetal union would be easier for me to get into. Is it hard to get in without knowing someone????

when i got in 13 yrs ago. i went down to the hall and signed the book. forgot all about it. 2 1/2 years later they called and i started my apprenticeship. i didn't know anyone in the trade, nor do most of the guys in my class. you probably won't have to wait that long now. i signed up at all the halls.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Robo Im not sure what market area you are in but in my area Scab contractors charge more money per hour than the union contractors. What hurts is how the scabs treat thier people. One perfect example was a large electrical contractor who had a job at a local post office and had to pay prevailing wages on that job. He forced all of the men who were working on that job to work 8 hours there and then another 4 hours on another job for free. Hmmmmmm.

My stand is and always will be that Union workers are stronger than non-union counterparts. If you are smart and work hard there will always be a job. It might not be at the same company, but its a job and benefits that stay the same in your locals jurisdiction.

Originally posted by ballvalve

My stand is and always will be that Union workers are stronger than non-union counterparts. If you are smart and work hard there will always be a job. It might not be at the same company, but its a job and benefits that stay the same in your locals jurisdiction.
    I agree. But trying to convince robo of this is like telling concrete not to be hard.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Originally posted by frozensolid
    Originally posted by stlhvac
    Is it hard to get in?
    Not if you have a brain.
    If you have a brain, you don't need a union
    I think Robo is correct. Sharp techs do not need a union.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast