Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: union?

I am new to the trade and just applied to the sheet metal worker's union. The thing is that I just want to be an installer. Would the pipefitter's union or the sheetmetal union be better for what I want to do? What do the unions base admissions on? Is it hard to get in?

Originally posted by stlhvac
    Is it hard to get in?
    Not if you have a brain.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

I was just wondering b/c I figured getting in was more about WHO you know, rather than What you know.

SO what would you guys recommend for increasing the chances of getting in? Does experience or schooling matter? Should I go with sheetmetal or pipefitting for installing?

I would go to the pipefitters. Take the test. You may need a referral, but that can come from the office. Or contact the UA in Washington D.C.

Will it matter that I have no experience, but am interested in getting in the trade? I have taken the test and did well. Now I have to wait for them to contact me for the sheetmetal union.

They will put you through school. The contractors pay for it.

Originally posted by frozensolid
    Is it hard to get in?
    Not if you have a brain.
    If you have a brain, you don't need a union
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I am new to the trade and just applied to the sheet metal worker's union. The thing is that I just want to be an installer. Would the pipefitter's union or the sheetmetal union be better for what I want to do? What do the unions base admissions on? Is it hard to get in?

The question is, do you want to install the duct or the equipment and associated piping. Generally speaking, the pipefitters set the equipment and run any related piping and often the controls for the equipment while the sheetmetal workers run the duct and make the duct tie-in to the equipment. It is not that way everywhere, but in most places. No sheetmetal for me.......give me the piping and setting of the equipment. Call the pipefitters local nearest you and see what they have to offer before going with the sheetmetal workers. JMHO

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Originally posted by frozensolid
    Is it hard to get in?
    Not if you have a brain.
    If you have a brain, you don't need a union

Whatever robo........no point arguing with you about this again. I'm right and you're wrong.......end of story
    On a serious note, in general, you will make more money working union, PERIOD. It is not for everyone, but joining a union makes you no more or less than anyone else. It will help you as far as training and education goes. The "if you have a brain" comment is entirely untrue. Some of the smartest mechanics I know are union. Some of the smartest mechanics posting on this site are union. Your theory has a few holes there robo

Originally posted by johnnyonetruck
    Your theory has a few holes there robo
    I think his head does too.

man that is so true. I live here in florida and as ya'll know the pay down here really sucks. I have worked for the smaller companies learning the trade then moved into maintenance positions with manufactures to get where I am today. I finally joined the I.B.E.W and now am a house h.v.a.c. tech. at one of the nuclear power plants. I am making more money than i ever have before $30 plus per hr. and what great benefits and retirement. Got to give credit where its due and that would be to the union. without them we would be making the same as all the guys working for the other guys are. But to each his own.And thats not to mention all of the schooling that is provided to us as well.

Just to show I do want to be helpful;
    http://www.unionpriv.org/about/layoff.cfm
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast