HVAC & Spiders!!! - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Anybody seen these spideys around? I killed about 1/2 doz. this summer. Is that a brown recluse?

[Edited by airmax on 12-26-2004 at 10:57 PM]
    work to live not live to work

Anybody seen these swpideys around? I killed about 1/2 doz. this summer. Is that a brown recluse?

Notice the happy face on its back.
    work to live not live to work

once on a job the electrician I was working with pointed out a HUGE spider under a truss, right next to where I was working. Scared the s**t outa me so bad I started puking.

Here in upstate South Carolina if your gonna be a hvac guy you better become one with the spider and snake and become their parter cause you gonna see a mess of them. 80 percent of air handlers or furnaces are under a crawl space and there are all kinds of creepy boys hanging out. I learned a long time ago that when entering a crawl space if you sit and look around your gonna freak yourself out...so you just go ...now adays i dont even think about it unless it looks overtly bad. On a side note its interesting to note that most black widows that I find are oddly enough in package units on top of convienience stores and them boys grow big in there...ive seen some so big that if I were to get hit by one of them in their most mature state it would seriously hurt you. You are more likely to get bit by black widows and or recluse out in your yard messing around bushes or picking up rocks or old sticks laying around. However my biggest fear is to be crawling under some low hanging ductwork in crawlspace and a recluse falls on my face..bites and then your disfigured for life...its not an odd occurence and a very real fear.

Originally posted by airmax

Anybody seen these swpideys around? I killed about 1/2 doz. this summer. Is that a brown recluse?

Notice the happy face on its back.
    That's an orb weaver spider....not dangerous like black widows or recluses....They make the big webs ...if outside...no reason to smush them...
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Here is a picture of a brown recluse. I have never seen one in person. They are supposed to be natives of VA, but I have never seen one and I examine every brown spider I see. I see Black Widows frequently but make it a habit of not killing any spiders or anything else for that matter. Like hackmaster, I don't analyze crawl spaces much. You're much more likely to cut yourself on or get tangled up in something the HO has thrown in there. Notice the violin shape on its thorax. That's a dead giveaway. They are also known as 'fiddle spiders.' http://www.critterridders.com/brown_recluse1.jpg

[Edited by HVAC Pro on 12-28-2004 at 03:09 PM]
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456