Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    When I was in the field I didn't have any run ins with Brown Recluses but I have been nailed by a bunch of scorpions. They hurt like hell when they get you.
    When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

I've learned to appreciate spiders. Considering that they eat mosquitos, they can't be that bad. Crouching behind a condenser recently I swatted a mosquito into a nearby spiders web. It was incredible how quickly the spider wrapped that thing up in silk. Spider-1 mosquito-0. Same goes for bats. One bat can eat as many as 1500 mosquitos in a single night. I like bats too!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

I appreciate `em too but damn if they don`t give me the willies!

Makes your skin crawl reading about what you guys have dealt with.

Used to work with a guy who put a large rubber spider in a rooftop service panel,would nearly send you over the edge when you caught your first glimpse of the damn thing.

I`ve had plenty of crawl spaces to deal with but thankfully no run ins with anything the likes of a black widow or recluse.

Ever notice how the room gets smaller as soon as you spot something like that sharing it with you?

They may not hurt you either, but they sure will make you hurt yourself trying to get away from them!

Originally posted by dbaker
    When I was in the field I didn't have any run ins with Brown Recluses but I have been nailed by a bunch of scorpions. They hurt like hell when they get you.
    Back when used to commercial fish for a living, during part of the summer months we would repair our stone crab traps on land. While they were on land drying out all sorts of things (rats, scorpions, birds) would make homes out of these traps. When you pull off a trap to work on it you would have to watch out you might get hit with a scorpion tail or have a rat jump on you. The rat thing usually didn't happen but the scorpion sting was common. The ones down here hurt like a mother f er. One day after being stung with one the guy across the lot was from the Phillipines and told me on how to draw the poison out and make it feel better. He told me you have to urinate on the sting area. I told him that was pretty sick but they effin hurt so I'd try it. Turned out it worked almost instantly. The only problem I had was what if I got stung on the neck or face, I am definitely not asking my buddy to piss on me and I would never reach even on a good day.

Isn't that what male bonding is all about?

- Colton

Its funny. I just got nailed last night by a scorpinion. I was moving a bunch of crap that I was working on into the garage. It rained almost 12" last night. When I picked up my tools, there was a small scorpinion right under the left side of my hammer. The worst part for me about those things is that they are so freeky looking. This time it just feels like a bee sting.
    When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

Growing up I always thought you'd die instantly if stung by a scorpion. Guess I was ignorant since we don't have any here and I've never seen a real live one. I don't care to either. But they always made them look really dangerous in the movies with their tails curled up running along. Yikes! I'd rather deal with spiders. At least they aren't usually aggressive.

Boss posted this back in 08/2001

This story was sent to me by Terry F. Warner

SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND

It was a dark and stormy night...but that was another service call.

This day was warm and sunny. The homeowner had gone to work and left the door open for me. The blower on their furnace makes a loud thud when it tries to blow air; a rotating thud...thud...thud.

The blower unit was located under the house. Access was gained by a crawl hole in the garage. It was dry and clean underneath the house as I crawled on my hands and knees toward the unit.

I had perfected the “workman’s crawl” technique some years back. It was just plain experience that enabled me to put my entire tool box in my pants’ pockets and my flashlight in my mouth, and crawl at a rhythmic pace, and at the same time, keep an eye out for spiders and rodents and other critters that might attack me for invading their turf.

After crawling about seventy-five feet, I found the blower unit. I took the panel door off and tried to look inside the unit. Seeing nothing, I put the panel back on and crawled back out. Then I went to the thermostat and turned on the blower. It started up and immediately: thud...thud...thud.

I shut the unit off and proceeded with my crawl technique back to the blower.

After removing the panel, I again tried to peer inside the cabinet, but it was a little too high without changing to a totally different position. So I lay on my side, enduring the pain caused by the awl in my front pocket, and thinking I needed to update my tool list for underneath house work.

Still nothing. So, I started feeling around the shaft–good, then the set screw–good and tight, then the blower wheel. Aha! I felt something in the blower: probably a piece of insulation. I reached in and grabbed something cold and round. I was crouched at eye level and about eight inches from the blower, and with my quick mind, I immediately realized that insulation would not be cold and round and ai-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-!

In my hasty departure, I developed the “underneath the house run”, and exited the access hole in record time.

Now I was in a dilemma. My speedy retreat had caused several of my tools to come to life and propel themselves from my body. They were strewn about somewhere along my back trail.

I got a larger light and a mirror and crawled back inside, setting no speed record. If I didn’t spot the snake, I wasn’t going to search for it.

Carefully I peered into the blower cabinet and there it was. I flinched, and took a second look. It’s head had been severed when the unit started. I put my gloves on and gingerly pulled the snake out, half expecting it to come to life. I carried it outside and laid it on the lawn.

I was a hero! I repaired the damage to the blower, and I had gone above the “call of duty” to do so. However, I knew it would be some time for I would reach inside a blower cabinet without taking a careful look first.

Terry F. Warner
    twarner@gbta.net
    osted this back in
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Quite common for around here this time of the year (all the rain) to have snake getting inside the condensing units. You know what the problem is as soon as you get somewhat close to the unit as the smell is very distintive.

I always look now when reaching into area not readably seeable. Had a family of rats living in the ductwork on one unit and scared the living crap out of me when I reached in to grap the blower wheel.

Got bit again. Brown recluse got me again the other morning. I wear shorts to work and one had gotten me right above the ankle. Now I got a hole in my leg about the size of a quarter and it is quite painful.

how fast do you react to a Recluse bite. I've seen the nasty nasty effects they have on body tissue if left to long. do you go to the doctor immediatly or do you have some hvac secret remedy... maybe an EPA sanctioned blast of r-22 on the infected area freezing the venom... no?

No secret HVAC remedy. Still got to go to the Dr.'s and have them clean them out and antibiotics. I takes on me anyways a couple of days before real effects are apparent.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast