Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Man where do most of you guys live? In the south? I can't imagine seeing spiders like that. The only spiders I ever see are daddy long legs.

-Brian

Wolf spiders do the scattering babies thing too. You can tell if they are carrying babies if they look extra hairy.

Brown Recluse spiders are rare here but I saw one when I was camping many years ago.

Imagine if we had to deal with the Camel Spiders in Iraq like our troops do everyday.

Camel Spiders are the fastest anthropod in the world, running up to 10mph. They also have a 4.5' vertical jump. They normally come out at night and feed like any other spider.

Thankfully, my brother said they have only seen a few dead ones, hit by cars like squirels here.

Worst part, with all the new bugs suddenly showing up.....just think what would happen if a soldier had some eggs stuck to his crap and brought them over here, yucky!!
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Imagine one of those camel spiders jumping on your face as you're flat on your back in a dark confined space - alone ... and your flashlight goes out. Alien facehuggers?

Makes me wanna play a prank on the next HVAC guy and put a BIG RUBBER SPIDER someplace where he'll least expect it.

- Colton

Football sized spiders are

just fairy tales like elves, witches and Eskimos. (A little quote from Homer there - not the smart one.)

Man I'm glad I live in California! This shiat is creeping me out. We have plenty of scared black widows. I've heard of an installer who got bit by a brown recluse. But that's it. Football sized arachnids, rabid bats and the boogie man all seem to have left for Florida and other nearby locales.

According to Mythbusters the daddy longlegs is not a poisonous to humans, and thier fangs are big enough to penatrate human skin.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Banana Spider

The brown recluse is a bad @$$ spider here in the south. It doesn't particularly hurt to get bit.......until later. Does some serious flesh rotting. Got bit on the chin a few years ago......not pleasant. Have been in crawl spaces with rattlesnakes, copperheads, and plenty of spiders. That is one reason why I do commercial work now. Mainly have to deal with wasps........been stung twice this year. Somehow, a sting from a red wasp just doesn't seem to last as long as a bite from a snake or the bite of a spider.

Those banana spiders certainly look ornrey.

- Colton

That's the female one. The male spider is about 1/2 its size and after they mate she eats him.

We don't have any piosonious spiders here in VT that I know of. But my son hates them. Its funny because he is a big Harley motorcycle guy. But he comes unglued when he sees spiders in a crawl space.

Somebody said about bees sensing if you are afraid of them. I believe that to be true. I opened an electrical panel on a RTU and a whole bunch of bees come flying out. My helper was afraid of bees. They flew right by me and chased him almost to the point that he was going to jump off the roof.

I was bit by a brown recluse, $1500.00 & a month of recovery and I was good as new, got me in the thigh, lots of pain, 1 surgery, stiches, and then waiting for things to heal back up so i could bend over without reopening the wound. amazing, little things do matter....
    Still learning opinions welcome.

karsthuntr

My brother was just talking about that episode last night. He said that one of the guys had a bunch of them on his arm and that the one of the bigger ones was able to give him a little prick. But yeah, it was harmless.

brown recluse

this time last year, got 5 bites. did not realize it until the next day, got fever at night, felt better during the day. went on for 5 days getting worse and worse, finally walked off service call to go to the emergency room.

i now have 5 indentations @ 1/4 to 1/2 deep the size of a quarter on my legs and thighs, thank god i wore jeans, it probably would have been worse.

oh yeah, i left that customer cooling before i left, went back a few days later to collect!
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast