Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Talking

Hey, I wanna hear some HVAC stories dealing with those creepy crawlers that you find in the attic and other dark places. Anyone encounter a brown recluse spider or other potentially dangerous critters? Most of all, would like to hear spider stories.

- Colton

Yea, theres lots of spiders, we get "The Black Widow"

here once in a while. Funnyest one was a plumber buddy who was in a dark crawlspace and he put his hand on a slimy thing...... Then it started wiggling. He never went back in. (I'd guess it was a salamander. It found the leak a long time ago)
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Was working in a crawl space and felt something poking me on the back of my neck. Reached back and pulled off a big ol bubbly spider. Freaks me out! cause I have arachniphobia. I think its because of this that I have had bad spider experiences cause nobody else has had them. Dam spiders just seem to know who hates them the most and go right to that person.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

As a very young future HVAC-Guy

I used to like to pull the legs off of Granddaddy Longlegs.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I found a Black Widow in the heating section of a package Carrier. The unit is on the roof top of a large mall in S. florida. It made no sense to me how she got there and what she eats as I keep the unit pretty clean.

3 blackwidow & 1 scorpion bite so far in crawl spaces.
    The spider thing don`t bother me, it`s the near hits from rattlesnakes.Lovly business we`re in.

Gas leaks, no biggy
    Live 440 wires, a little spooky
    Snakes, no problem
    Rats, no problem
    Mice, no problem
    Bees or wasps, a bit scary
    Vicious dogs, no problem
    Rabid bats, no problem
    Pissed off homeowner, no problem
    Spider, BIG F'ing PROBLEM!!!

I hate them SOB's. Ask the guys I work with, nothing gets me out of a basement or crawlspace faster. I got a bite from a Wolf spider when I was a young lad and it looked like a baseball hanging off me.

[Edited by I_got_ideas on 07-19-2004 at 07:23 PM]
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

I hate the darn things... one trailor park I used to work in was populated with black widows... had to crawl under one trailor to run new duct work to an addition... had my duct tools and contact cleaner with me... that contact cleaner does a wonderful job of killing 8-legged freaks.

Benn bitten by the Brown Recluse twice. First time had no idea about what they do to you until I had a hole in my hand the size of a 1/2 dollar. They don't bother me too bad now except the banana tree spider. They can get the size of a football and if they are carrying eggs when you smash them the eggs splatter all over the place and 100's of baby spiders go a running. When it comes to creepy crawlys I am a big friggin sissy, I hate anything that crawl in dark places.

Originally posted by workhorse
    Benn bitten by the Brown Recluse twice. First time had no idea about what they do to you until I had a hole in my hand the size of a 1/2 dollar. They don't bother me too bad now except the banana tree spider. They can get the size of a football and if they are carrying eggs when you smash them the eggs splatter all over the place and 100's of baby spiders go a running. When it comes to creepy crawlys I am a big friggin sissy, I hate anything that crawl in dark places.
    yea, something about them ones that carry all the babies on the back. Kinda like that frog that has all its babies under the skin of the back and wiggle around like some nasty sh*t. Then they break open and the frog has a bunch of holes in its back.

I am not sure why i am all a puss about that crap, but man it makes my nuts crawl back in me like nothing else.

Talking

I like to see them smashed under contacts !

I see black widows in about half of the condensers or heat pump outdoor units I open. They aren't typically aggressive. In fact they usually find somewhere to hide. At one time spiders freaked me out. I've learned to deal with them after seeing them so often. I have never been bitten, but know the brown recluse can make a nasty mess out of flesh. Someone posted pictures here once of a bite.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Originally posted by workhorse
    They don't bother me too bad now except the banana tree spider. They can get the size of a football and if they are carrying eggs when you smash them the eggs splatter all over the place and 100's of baby spiders go a running. [/B]
    Jesus! Were do you live? Sounds like something out of a horror movie!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast