Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,388

    Compressor Rating Comparison

    Fairly regularly, here on HVAC-Talk, members post questions relating to what happens when a different refrigerant is used in a particular compressor.

    I ran across an a Copeland hermetic compressor which happens to be rated for not only medium temp R404A, but for R22, R507 and...R134A high temp as well.

    I thought a basic comparison would be interesting to some of you.

    At +20F SST / 120F SCT:

    R134A......10400 Btuh.....1560 Watts.....9.1 Amps

    R22..........18600 Btuh.....2500 Watts....10.8 Amps

    R404A......18100 Btuh.....2780 Watts.....13.0 Amps

    R507........18700 Btuh.....2840 Watts.....13.2 Amps

    When used in their condensing units, Copeland still states a nominal horsepower rating. The R22 and R404A units with this compressor are rated at 3 hp, whereas the R134A unit is rated as at 1.5 hp. Go figure.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,344
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Fairly regularly, here on HVAC-Talk, members post questions relating to what happens when a different refrigerant is used in a particular compressor.

    I ran across an a Copeland hermetic compressor which happens to be rated for not only medium temp R404A, but for R22, R507 and...R134A high temp as well.

    I thought a basic comparison would be interesting to some of you.

    At +20F SST / 120F SCT:

    R134A......10400 Btuh.....1560 Watts.....9.1 Amps

    R22..........18600 Btuh.....2500 Watts....10.8 Amps

    R404A......18100 Btuh.....2780 Watts.....13.0 Amps

    R507........18700 Btuh.....2840 Watts.....13.2 Amps

    When used in their condensing units, Copeland still states a nominal horsepower rating. The R22 and R404A units with this compressor are rated at 3 hp, whereas the R134A unit is rated as at 1.5 hp. Go figure.
    Icemeister,
    Buy chance would it be a CS hermetic ? These compressors are suitable for EMT,MT & HT applications as well as going from -30*F to +45*F SST depending on which refrigerant is used.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,388
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Icemeister,
    Buy chance would it be a CS hermetic ? These compressors are suitable for EMT,MT & HT applications as well as going from -30*F to +45*F SST depending on which refrigerant is used.
    Yep...I forgot to state that this one's a CS18K6E-PFV. Thanks for picking up on that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,344
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Yep...I forgot to state that this one's a CS18K6E-PFV. Thanks for picking up on that.
    Your post took me back to a job i did were the last tech to charge the system left no clue to which refrigerant was put in. When i ran the compressor model # to retrieve the refrigerant type 4 types came up so i went to the expansion valve for additional help. Good post there icemeister.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Connectitaxed
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Yep...I forgot to state that this one's a CS18K6E-PFV. Thanks for picking up on that.
    I have heard of this before...probably from here. This compressor would be a better fit for 404. Am I wrong on this? I would see this as not a good fit for 134. I know that r-22 can run on any oil but I just haven't seen one with POE to compare. I will have to check this compressor out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,388
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    I have heard of this before...probably from here. This compressor would be a better fit for 404. Am I wrong on this? I would see this as not a good fit for 134. I know that r-22 can run on any oil but I just haven't seen one with POE to compare. I will have to check this compressor out.
    Whether or not it's a good match depends what you load requirement is. If you need 18,000 Btuh at +20/120 then it fits right in with R22, R404A or R507.

    If you're looking for 10,000 at +20/120, then it's a good fit if you use R134A.

    Actually, to have this nominal 3 HP pump rated to do a 1.5 HP job is a bit out of the ordinary...especially for Copeland. (Remember, this compressor has a 3 horse motor inside.) I think it came about because they don't have a nominal 1.5 HP R134A Copelaweld in the stable, so they opted for this one to round out their condensing unit lineup.

    Powell will probably be along shortly to tell me I'm way out in left field on this one.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Connectitaxed
    Posts
    2,644
    United Refrigeration has this compressor listed as "while supplies last" . Is that because they are no longer stocking them or are they being discontinued? I know you will know the answer to this Ice!

    A capacity chart:


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,388
    That's a good chart pdrake. It shows they have the same thing all up and down the line from CS10 to the CS33.

    Is that from the URI website?

    As for the discontinuing of that model, Copeland still lists it as current on their site. I dunno beyond that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Connectitaxed
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    That's a good chart pdrake. It shows they have the same thing all up and down the line from CS10 to the CS33.

    Is that from the URI website?

    As for the discontinuing of that model, Copeland still lists it as current on their site. I dunno beyond that.
    Yea from URI... maybe it is just they who are discontinuing this line.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,344
    Do they all come with POE oil ? And do you change oil for R22 application ?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,388
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Do they all come with POE oil ? And do you change oil for R22 application ?
    Those all have POE as designated by the E in the model number.

    R22 and POE is becoming more common than you might think. Rumor has it Copeland will soon be going to POE in everything.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,787
    If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    584
    While I understand the effects of different refrigerants and their P/T relationships I have yet to understand why someone would use 134a for a med/High temp application like that compressor is rated for. It seems GROSSLY INEFFICIENT...am I missing something.

    Why buy a 3hp unit when using another gas will allow you to use a 1.25-1.5 hp system, won't it be less expensive to purchase and run?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event