+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CPC sensors

Post Likes
    I have noticed some companies using a different sensor to replace failed CPC sensors. There is no name or markings on them. A friend of mine says his company starting using them because they are a 1/3 of the price of CPC, but has no idea where they are getting them from.
    Anybody have any idea who makes them and if you have used them, have you had sucess with them.

Post Likes
    juneair,
    what is a cpc sensor.
    I'm trying to soak up as much as I can.
    I'm a typical hvac tech that gets more thrown at him than one knows.
    Learning everyday so please be easy on me
    Thanks for your educational responce

Post Likes
    Originally posted by travistee
    juneair,
    what is a cpc sensor.
    I'm trying to soak up as much as I can.
    I'm a typical hvac tech that gets more thrown at him than one knows.
    Learning everyday so please be easy on me
    Thanks for your educational responce
    CPC stands for Computer Process Controls. This is a company that manufactures computers if you will that can control several aspects of any HVACR system.

A sensor is a device that measures temperature. Whether it be discharge air, discharge line, suction line, outside ambient, etc...........

Juneair - We did not get involved in ordering our own parts - sorry, unable to help.

Post Likes
    We use them

They have grey leads and they work great.

Sorry don't know the maker though.

Post Likes
    The CPC sensor is a common 10K ohm sensor, we used a compatible sensor made by Basys Controls, Middleton Wisconsin, ph.(608)836-9034. fax. (608) 836-9044
    I happened to have 1 sitting in the kitchen drawer for the last 5 years unopened, hence the detailed info. They worked fine initially but did not have the same life expectancy as a CPC sensor. Don't have time to supply a picture but they do not appear to be sealed as well where the wire leads meet the sensor (can't tell due to wire spring on sensor, could likely be helped by a few wraps of tape or heat shrink to keep out moisture)
    They were cheaper but some had to replaced within 1 year or less!! They did generate more income because of that but....could piss of a customer with that kind of failure rate.

There are likely a lot of companies that make 10k ohm sensors,you can swap 1 for your Cooper electro therm sensor if you can solder together the right connector/plug-in.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Post Likes
    We use some with yellow leads, don't know mfg.
    I still like green.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mccool
    The CPC sensor is a common 10K ohm sensor, we used a compatible sensor made by Basys Controls, Middleton Wisconsin, ph.(608)836-9034. fax. (608) 836-9044
    I happened to have 1 sitting in the kitchen drawer for the last 5 years unopened, hence the detailed info. They worked fine initially but did not have the same life expectancy as a CPC sensor. Don't have time to supply a picture but they do not appear to be sealed as well where the wire leads meet the sensor (can't tell due to wire spring on sensor, could likely be helped by a few wraps of tape or heat shrink to keep out moisture)
    They were cheaper but some had to replaced within 1 year or less!! They did generate more income because of that but....could piss of a customer with that kind of failure rate.

There are likely a lot of companies that make 10k ohm sensors,you can swap 1 for your Cooper electro therm sensor if you can solder together the right connector/plug-in.
    Geez Mccool clean out yer drawers fr petes sake....
    Look, just do your job, stay outta my way and we'll get along fine.

Teach your kids to respect themselves and others with your actions- these little baboons will imitate you like it or not.

Post Likes

ACI Sensors

Try Automation Components (ACI). They have green lead versions to match the look of the CPC sensors....
    Enjoy your day!

Post Likes
    I've used 3 different Green lead type, not sure where they all come from but they're different makers. I also have a few with orange leads, there's a flat/curved spot on the sensor which makes mounting it to a pipe better. kinda like the curved spot on some danfoss TEV bulbs.
    Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Post Likes
    CPC sensor to a Danfoss Sensor to a Novar Sensor To A Comtrol Sensor, If you dont know the differerance then there's something wrong

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by refertecbd View Post
    CPC sensor to a Danfoss Sensor to a Novar Sensor To A Comtrol Sensor, If you dont know the differerance then there's something wrong
    a 10K resistor is a 10K resistor

no experience with comtrol, danfoss and Novar, what do they use

CPC and Microthermo are OK with the 10K ohm puppy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySq View Post
    a 10K resistor is a 10K resistor

no experience with comtrol, danfoss and Novar, what do they use

CPC and Microthermo are OK with the 10K ohm puppy

Sensors are 10K thermistors, not resistors. There is a "10K Type 2", and a "10K Type 3". As you may know, thermistors are non-linear devices. A change of x ohms in the measured resistance does not always correspond to a change of y degrees. It depends where on the range of the device you are.

Most controllers have a built-in idea of the curve for "10K type 2" and/or "10K type 3". Which is why they can give an accurate temperature reading even if thermistors are not linear.

Type 2 and Type 3 do not have exactly the same curve. If the application requires precision, you need to use the right type. If in doubt, ask the manufacturer what 10K type is supported by their controllers.
    -------------------------
    CO2 Racks Rock !

Post Likes
    !!!! Resistor !!! not resistor!!! maybe resistacne has a value??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by juneair View Post
    I have noticed some companies using a different sensor to replace failed CPC sensors. There is no name or markings on them. A friend of mine says his company starting using them because they are a 1/3 of the price of CPC, but has no idea where they are getting them from.
    Anybody have any idea who makes them and if you have used them, have you had sucess with them.
    Hello juneair,

My company (Micro Thermo Technologies) sells "compatible CPC sensors" to integrators, refrigeration companies, hvac companies, OEMs, and directly to the end user. Can't comment about the price. Not my departement. Just call Patrick Desmarais at (450) 668-3033 (extension 119) 9am-5pm, mon-fri, eastern standard time.

Regards,
    -------------------------
    CO2 Racks Rock !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySq View Post
    I've used 3 different Green lead type, not sure where they all come from but they're different makers. I also have a few with orange leads, there's a flat/curved spot on the sensor which makes mounting it to a pipe better. kinda like the curved spot on some danfoss TEV bulbs.
    Mike
    I believe the sensor you have with the curved spot is a CPC sensor. They use them to take Hotgas temperatures at the compressors

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep'N It Cool View Post
    I believe the sensor you have with the curved spot is a CPC sensor. They use them to take Hotgas temperatures at the compressors
    we use them for defrost termination senors clamped to the hot gas return line

Post Likes
    Yes they are also used for that in conjunction with a "POS TD3" or a Contol Link Modual.

Post Likes
    There's a company in Canada www.recs.ca who supplies equivalents to CPC sensors, the green ones and orange for defrost termination. They work great, I've tried them and they cost much less.
    Last edited by Bazooga; 06-10-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in