Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 18

Thread: CPC sensors

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    78
    I have noticed some companies using a different sensor to replace failed CPC sensors. There is no name or markings on them. A friend of mine says his company starting using them because they are a 1/3 of the price of CPC, but has no idea where they are getting them from.
    Anybody have any idea who makes them and if you have used them, have you had sucess with them.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    285
    juneair,
    what is a cpc sensor.
    I'm trying to soak up as much as I can.
    I'm a typical hvac tech that gets more thrown at him than one knows.
    Learning everyday so please be easy on me
    Thanks for your educational responce

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    DFW Metroplex
    Posts
    4,910
    Originally posted by travistee
    juneair,
    what is a cpc sensor.
    I'm trying to soak up as much as I can.
    I'm a typical hvac tech that gets more thrown at him than one knows.
    Learning everyday so please be easy on me
    Thanks for your educational responce
    CPC stands for Computer Process Controls. This is a company that manufactures computers if you will that can control several aspects of any HVACR system.

    A sensor is a device that measures temperature. Whether it be discharge air, discharge line, suction line, outside ambient, etc...........

    Juneair - We did not get involved in ordering our own parts - sorry, unable to help.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Orange County CA
    Posts
    1,084
    We use them

    They have grey leads and they work great.

    Sorry don't know the maker though.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,166
    The CPC sensor is a common 10K ohm sensor, we used a compatible sensor made by Basys Controls, Middleton Wisconsin, ph.(608)836-9034. fax. (608) 836-9044
    I happened to have 1 sitting in the kitchen drawer for the last 5 years unopened, hence the detailed info. They worked fine initially but did not have the same life expectancy as a CPC sensor. Don't have time to supply a picture but they do not appear to be sealed as well where the wire leads meet the sensor (can't tell due to wire spring on sensor, could likely be helped by a few wraps of tape or heat shrink to keep out moisture)
    They were cheaper but some had to replaced within 1 year or less!! They did generate more income because of that but....could piss of a customer with that kind of failure rate.

    There are likely a lot of companies that make 10k ohm sensors,you can swap 1 for your Cooper electro therm sensor if you can solder together the right connector/plug-in.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

  6. #6
    We use some with yellow leads, don't know mfg.
    I still like green.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny So Cal!
    Posts
    649
    Originally posted by mccool
    The CPC sensor is a common 10K ohm sensor, we used a compatible sensor made by Basys Controls, Middleton Wisconsin, ph.(608)836-9034. fax. (608) 836-9044
    I happened to have 1 sitting in the kitchen drawer for the last 5 years unopened, hence the detailed info. They worked fine initially but did not have the same life expectancy as a CPC sensor. Don't have time to supply a picture but they do not appear to be sealed as well where the wire leads meet the sensor (can't tell due to wire spring on sensor, could likely be helped by a few wraps of tape or heat shrink to keep out moisture)
    They were cheaper but some had to replaced within 1 year or less!! They did generate more income because of that but....could piss of a customer with that kind of failure rate.

    There are likely a lot of companies that make 10k ohm sensors,you can swap 1 for your Cooper electro therm sensor if you can solder together the right connector/plug-in.
    Geez Mccool clean out yer drawers fr petes sake....
    Look, just do your job, stay outta my way and we'll get along fine.

    Teach your kids to respect themselves and others with your actions- these little baboons will imitate you like it or not.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26

    ACI Sensors

    Try Automation Components (ACI). They have green lead versions to match the look of the CPC sensors....
    Enjoy your day!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In a Mess
    Posts
    1,009
    I've used 3 different Green lead type, not sure where they all come from but they're different makers. I also have a few with orange leads, there's a flat/curved spot on the sensor which makes mounting it to a pipe better. kinda like the curved spot on some danfoss TEV bulbs.
    Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Loris SC
    Posts
    208
    CPC sensor to a Danfoss Sensor to a Novar Sensor To A Comtrol Sensor, If you dont know the differerance then there's something wrong

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In a Mess
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by refertecbd View Post
    CPC sensor to a Danfoss Sensor to a Novar Sensor To A Comtrol Sensor, If you dont know the differerance then there's something wrong
    a 10K resistor is a 10K resistor

    no experience with comtrol, danfoss and Novar, what do they use

    CPC and Microthermo are OK with the 10K ohm puppy
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mirabel, QC, Canada
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySq View Post
    a 10K resistor is a 10K resistor

    no experience with comtrol, danfoss and Novar, what do they use

    CPC and Microthermo are OK with the 10K ohm puppy

    Sensors are 10K thermistors, not resistors. There is a "10K Type 2", and a "10K Type 3". As you may know, thermistors are non-linear devices. A change of x ohms in the measured resistance does not always correspond to a change of y degrees. It depends where on the range of the device you are.

    Most controllers have a built-in idea of the curve for "10K type 2" and/or "10K type 3". Which is why they can give an accurate temperature reading even if thermistors are not linear.

    Type 2 and Type 3 do not have exactly the same curve. If the application requires precision, you need to use the right type. If in doubt, ask the manufacturer what 10K type is supported by their controllers.
    -------------------------
    CO2 Racks Rock !

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Loris SC
    Posts
    208
    !!!! Resistor !!! not resistor!!! maybe resistacne has a value??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event