Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Greetings all. I have to install duct work for a small (850 sq. ft.) office in a strip mall. The unit on the roof is a five ton unit. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make this unit work. they are not looking for effiency. It is located north of Toronto so the heat load os not really that great. All ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Kevin

trade it for a 2 ton

duct 1 ton into the space and 4 tons outside the building,holy is that oversized.

Cool

Maybe you could convince them they should upgrade their lighting by about 10000 watts or so, at least then you would be in the ballpark.

I have opened duct up in a drop if it's slightly oversized. It's not the best solution, but it works. Just get some 10" take-off's with dampers install on the top and open as needed.. The "A" plan would be as Freonrick stated.

Dam that is way oversized though.
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

Drill a hole in one of the pistons and slow the fan down, or remove one of the valves, those tin cans are tough to weld together again though.

Thanks guys. I'll go look at job tomorrow. I may just have to pass on it cause i don't think I can make it right.

Confused

I would be curious as to what you come up with. I have seen 5 ton in 800 sq. ft. before that works just fine. But it was a deli with high heat loads from condensers (pop coolers,meat cases, etc.etc and to top it off they cooked chicken under a 24 sq.ft hood. What was they occupancy you found?
    Rick

It will cool OK and ya could maybe help with the noise but I hope they like a lot of humidity in the air.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Thanks for all the replies. It will be a small office with about 4 staff and 2-3 custoomers at a time. Not alot of heat load. I guess I'll just duct it and see what happens. I priced some material today and nearly had a heart attack. good thing there is no inflation. 50% price increase for tin.
    Regards

just replace all the ceiling tiles with registers and you'll do fine.

Originally posted by gbfromsd
    just replace all the ceiling tiles with registers and you'll do fine.
    best idea i've heard yet
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

Did you read what Dice said??

Listen. This stuff aint a joke no more and as contractors we must remind each other how important this mold issue is becoming. The Lawyers and insurance outfits are just getting ramped up with this crap. To make a quick buck, knowing you'll not be doing the job right can cost you big time in the end.

I use to like doing "jerry Rigs" or rather, imaginative engineering, for some of my customers who needed something to get by or whatever. I have stopped this practice altogether. Huge risks these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast