Kicking the tires/R-22 jug tare

Ok just had the site committee quote me minimum minimum post count for Pro Tech registration.

My opinion is that's a high bar, for a site without an internal search function - unless I missed it.

About a year ago, I found this site via Google. Just minutes before this post did a Google site search for 'R-22 jug tare' and the first hit was this site for an R-12 post dated in 2005:
    Quote Originally Posted by fjbill
    Removed link to another forum searching everywhere for this info. Hell, i think this is the first time even GOOGLE has failed me
    I'm 56 and HVAC/R is the first skilled trade I've gotten formal education in, AAS. Other trade experience was O-J-T in carpentry and some electrical slack time work, with up to 480 VAC. I also have worked on high/low AC/DC voltage circuitry in the military radar power production/signal processing. I've dabbled a bit in computers to the extent of a CompTIA A+ cert back in the DOS/Windows days and worked as hardware tech a couple years. I have a couple different programming languages a step beyond the intro's, in the classroom, along with some networking coursework. I build my own pc's and my long term goal is to be capable of building my own heating/cooling/ventilation system, with the same ease.

I've used the internet since the mid-'90's as a remote library, with a gradually improving through the years, technical reference department. My personal interests include energy/oil issues ( part of my HVAC choice ) such as the 'reserve replacement problem' and the expected implications to the HVAC field, for example integrated Heat Pump/Hot Water, CO2 as residential refrigerant, and heat/power co-generation technology.

My new career employment has been a challenge at this time, circa 2008, with my advanced age coupled with an unusual personalty type per the larger population and, I suspect even more so, in skilled trades population, as a Meyers-Briggs INTJ.

I am here, this evening, as part of my continuing education in which I would like to learn how to calculate tare/gross values for a 30#at the recommended 80% fill level, R-22 jug. I went to RSES first and then went to another Google search to find this site listed as stated above.

Is this the sort of information that is public knowledge in cyberspace ? Anyone have a link to this sort of info ? I'm always looking for technical sources to bookmark :-)

See 'ya !
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-06-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: removed link to another forum

You need 15 posts...

12 to go

And if there as long as this one it's gonna take you awhile.

Yes, we do have a search function, and much more information and educational material available once you are approved for pro membership.

So in short, just post, you'll be there in no time and we welcome all...but be careful, this site can also be very addictive

Wow ... three posts and the POLICE have already caught up with ya !

Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Police ... not exactly

Hehe, not quite.

When I saw the registration information requirements I jumped right into making a request - without reading any FAQ's that the site might have.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech
    Yes, we do have a search function, and much more information and educational material available once you are approved for pro membership.
    Thanks for the clarification !

Regarding my 'tare' search, 178.65 Specification 39 non-reusable (non-refillable) cylinders doesn't spec it.

Im not really sure about the question...The can weighs an average of 6.4 lbs, depending on the manufacturer.

Cool tare weight

The TW is the dry weight of a cylinder. It is stamped on the ring or top of cylinder as TW. You can weigh a cylinder then subtract the TW to get the weight of the contents.
    HTH,

Last time I saw a R-22 tank was when i made two saddle tanks from them for my pickup.
    Needed that much more gas to get from LA to AZ with my boat non stop.

Purchased a 30 lb Polar jug of R-22 with Net spec'd on the box and can at 30 lb's ( and equivalent kg ). One other alpha-numeric, WC9950C, is on can and box and an online search comes up empty.

Using a mechanical scale and guestimating actual needle reading, this jug's gross is ~33.5 lbs.

Thanks for the replies.

I have been noticing the new jugs I measure all seem to be a little light, 33.something to 35 tops. Rarely see one hitting over 36 lbs. Good way to make some extra money, a pound here and there on a few hundred thousand bottles of freon.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

I have been getting cans of 410 that weigh 9 lbs after all of the liquid is out.

Under filling of pressure tanks can happen, TV consumer reporter decided to go after one of the propane companies in our city last summer after complaints of short filled BBQ exchange tanks in the lockup cages at the stores.

Apparently this propane company in the spring had changed to a new supplier of tank and valves that were slightly heavier than the old ones and they said they "forgot" to change the tare weight on the filling line so all the new tanks came out with less propane.

They ended up giving everybody who had one of the short filled tanks and came to the plant with a receipt a voucher for a free exchange tank and a snap-in tank level gauge.
    Last edited by mbhydro; 06-27-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling