+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy Of Troubleshooting

Post Likes

Here are a few things to think about. Perhaps some of you can add to these.

1) Similarity is not identity!

Because you had a previous system with similar symptoms and found and fixed the problem does not mean the next system with similar symptoms has the same cause. That is operating on the assumption that similarity is identity. That is not troubleshooting.

2) Symptoms are not the cause!

Don't confuse the symptoms of the cause with the cause of the symptoms. Treating the symptoms may make one or more of the symptoms go away but it does not remove the problem. In fact, it probably inserts yet another problem and the whole problem is compounded. Know the difference between symptoms and the cause of the symptoms. Some doctors treat the symptoms instead of finding the cause. We need to be better than that.

Got any more?

Post Likes
    1st thing in trouble shooting, understand the sequence of operation, 2nd thing, identify and understand what purpose each component in the system does and how it can affect the operation. If you know this you can fix anything, there is more but I will let someone else add to it.

Post Likes
    Its amazing what your ears can tell you. Carpenters always get pissed when I turn off their radio to do my start up or service.

Post Likes
    I was wondering if someone would mention your senses, its amazing what you find without even picking up a tool.

Post Likes
    Communicate.....Ask questions of those who use the equipment or system before you do anything. If you get a first-hand description of what they have observed, you often can get to the cause of a problem a lot faster.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvac45
    I was wondering if someone would mention your senses, its amazing what you find without even picking up a tool.
    Amen....smelling a cooked transformer,contactor coil or motor windings.

feeling vibrations,knocks,pulsations..temps

all senses but taste.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Post Likes

All the senses

1. Feeling: Vibes from the unit.

2. Hearing: Very important. A good tech can usually know if a unit is under stress from its harmonics.

3. Smell: Phosgene gas. Burnt oil. Electrical frying.

4. Taste. Well, taste is a little far out there but it does have its place.

5. Sight. Damned hard to do it without sight. Not saying impossible.

Post Likes

re: Got any more?

3) Gather up as much data as possible (write it down!) during your analysis to back up your conclusion.

4) Don't assume anything! Verify everything!

5) When you get stumped, back down. Hardest thing to do in a time crunch but the time spent on a break is time saved when you return to the job and nail it.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    KISS

Post Likes
    Anticipate the worst but look for the simple stuff first.

Post Likes
    I always try not to look at previous service history until AFTER I have gone over the system. Many times a service history will lead you down the wrong trail and you may overlook something important.

I always start with airflow then go to the condenser.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Originally posted by otto
    I always try not to look at previous service history until AFTER I have gone over the system. Many times a service history will lead you down the wrong trail and you may overlook something important.

I always start with airflow then go to the condenser.
    I would not go to you if you were a doctor! I want to know as much as possible beforehand. History is very useful but you need to be mature enough to continue thinking outside the box and not be easily misled by the past.

The same goes for people. It is helpful to know about their past but not let their past prevent them from moving forward.

Norm

Post Likes
    pretty hard on me there Norm. Notice, I said I don't look at the history until after I look at the system. Of course I know that history is important. I am saying that I like to draw my own conclusions based on information that I collect and not based on a previous service call.

PS: If I were a doctor, I would look at your history but also look at your current complaint. When you come in with a cold it is irrelevant that you had gout last year.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes

Posted 2-10-04

Don't forget the five most important tools!
    eyes - look things over
    ears - listen to the equipment AND the customer
    nose - does it smell like there is a problem
    touch - what vibration is normal and what isn't
    BRAIN! - take your hat off and THINK about it.

If you walk onto a job without any ONE of the above tools, you won't fix a thing.....
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Post Likes

Re: re: Got any more?

Originally posted by shophound
    3) Gather up as much data as possible (write it down!) during your analysis to back up your conclusion.

4) Don't assume anything! Verify everything!

5) When you get stumped, back down. Hardest thing to do in a time crunch but the time spent on a break is time saved when you return to the job and nail it.

I like this answer the best.

Post Likes
    Knowing the history is a big help 75% of the time, using your senses before ya get the tools is also very important, overlooking obvious things occurs when you have a mindset that you know what is wrong before you investigate, start at the beginning, ie-if a condenser isn't running, still start inside and go over everything and work your way out to the condenser.......and my famous motto...keep your mouth shut and your eyes & ears open.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes

And, when you find the problem and the cause don't stop looking for more problems as the chances of at least one more problem is high.

Plus, don't inform the customer of the problem until you are absolutely sure you know the problem and the cause. Even then, don't tell the customer what it is until you are sure you have found ALL the problems.

Post Likes
    Somebody should be elected as secretary for this list of troubleshooting tips.
    They should write them all down in and assemble them in an orderly check list.
    So each of us could print them out and them staple the list to our PT charts.

This is getting goooooooooood!!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by R12rules
    Somebody should be elected as secretary for this list of troubleshooting tips.
    They should write them all down in and assemble them in an orderly check list.
    So each of us could print them out and them staple the list to our PT charts.

This is getting goooooooooood!!!

I cast my vote for Dice as secretary. He could comple them, put his name on it and submit to to Don for posting in the "For Your Interest" section.

What do you say, Dice?

Post Likes
    If they have a big dog, be careful walking around in the yard.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in