Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The fuses may be the original problem. I suggest wiring around those pesky troublemakers.

JUST KIDDING!

But an 8k winder shaker may not pull much more juice than an old 5k, and it can throw air further. That is important in winder shaker selection. Of course, you might have to miss an episode of "THE LOVE BOAT" , but that is prolly not a problem for you as you seem to have found the perfect "LOVE SHACK" anyway.

And remember these words young man:

"A fire extinguisher in hand is better than, well if there was a fire or something I guess".

Never forget it.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    The fuses may be the original problem. I suggest wiring around those pesky troublemakers.

JUST KIDDING!

But an 8k winder shaker may not pull much more juice than an old 5k, and it can throw air further. That is important in winder shaker selection. Of course, you might have to miss an episode of "THE LOVE BOAT" , but that is prolly not a problem for you as you seem to have found the perfect "LOVE SHACK" anyway.

And remember these words young man:

"A fire extinguisher in hand is better than, well if there was a fire or something I guess".

Never forget it.
    Energy star rated window shakers tend to draw 1 amp less then non E-star models.
    5000 BTU units usually use 5 amps or less, and non E-star 8k units are about 7 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Herb94 View Post
    Energy star rated window shakers tend to draw 1 amp less then non E-star models.
    5000 BTU units usually use 5 amps or less, and non E-star 8k units are about 7 amps.
    Did I read that right?

You are basically saying that he could upgrade to an 8k and probably only gain about 1 amp. That sounds like a good deal.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Did I read that right?

You are basically saying that he could upgrade to an 8k and probably only gain about 1 amp. That sounds like a good deal.
    That and these things often draw less power than the rating says they will. Even a 10,000 BTU energy star rated shaker doesn't draw too much power - 8.4 amp rating for an LG model I saw recently.

I would be more worried as to why he is having fuses blow than to find a way around that happening. I wonder what the wiring looks like if you are still using fuses.

Lot of those old places. Are 30 amps total for the whole place. As in 3600 watts for the whole apartment.

Doesn't take much to draw that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Lot of those old places. Are 30 amps total for the whole place. As in 3600 watts for the whole apartment.

Doesn't take much to draw that.
    True...my house was similar when I first bought it. The wiring would crumble in my hand as it was pulled out. Upgrade the electrical and end the worries.
    Nothing lasts forever.

Thank you all for your funny and valuable comments.

I got an 8k window type from Costco for $190 and everything seems to be fine so far. It's an e-star Sharp AF-S85RX. It draws about 7 A max per the spec.

By the way, my fuses are the screw-in type.

Quote Originally Posted by pwanghk View Post
    Thank you all for your funny and valuable comments.

I got an 8k window type from Costco for $190 and everything seems to be fine so far. It's an e-star Sharp AF-S85RX. It draws about 7 A max per the spec.

By the way, my fuses are the screw-in type.
    Might want to use slow blow fuses.

It's not uncommon for garden style apt buildings with 30A or 40A mains supplying a 4-8 circuit subpanel in the apt. This was common in the 50-60's and are prevalent today. I would have a qualified electrician check to see if you have sufficient room to add an additional circuit to feed the new unit. Article 210.23(A)(1) allows cord and plug devices not fastened in place to exceed 80% of the the branch circuit rating. a 1500 W device will draw 12.5 amps which is 1/2 an amp greater then the 12 amps allowed on a 15 a circuit. If the branch circuit is rated for 20 amps you would probably be ok, but if that circuit also feeds another appliance you may have problems. Call an electrical contractor that gives free estimates and get your question answered for a safe installation.

Hey Mr Chesapeake, have you been stealin' stuff from my e-lectrical boxes?

Are there pennys under the fuses? That also means 1920's wire like knob and tube.
    Sounds like a major problem. Have an electrician stop and visit you ASAP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12