Trane Compressors Junk? You decide!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Just serviced (3)trane 20 ton roof top packaged units. Manufactured in 2001. Each unit has (2) 3D Scroll compressors. These are not tandom compressors.
    2 Units have bad second stage Compressors. The contactors arnt burnt and look clean. Phasing is correct. Coils are clean, Air flow (cfm) are correct etc. Both compressors are burnouts. Each unit has phase protectors which are wired correctly and voltage and phases are balanced. Circuits are fully charged. (weighed removed refrigerant).
    Upon looking at the third unit, the first stage compressor is cutting in and out. Looking at the liquid line filter drier frosted up its not hard to figure out why.
    Every compressor and drier still have to red paint crap Trane puts on the braized connections, so its obvious this is all original.
    This is 3 year old equipment!! The owner wasn't very happy to find so many problems on basicly new units.
    Today he had me go to another building he owns with 2 trane units and 1 Carrier. Trane units are manufactured in 99.
    Almost same story. 1 unit has no charge in it. Charged with nitrogen. Condenser has huge split in the coils. The second unit has a dead short in the second stage compressor.
    I dont think the owner will be buying anymore trane units.
    Im not going to complain. Trane is gona make me rich with all this work!!! Heck i even found 3 cracked condenser fan blades out of 5 units.
    The Carrier is a 91. Its still cranking. (scratching head)

Nope. Trane only gave 1 year compressor warranty and 18 months on the heat exchangers.
    Want more warranty? Gota pay more money!!

Hmmm Tranes down and the blue oval is running balls out? Devils putting on his ice skates.

Interesting phenomenon, we've had a recent rash of 3D burnouts ourselves. Lucky that we built in the 5 year optional warranty on the units. Same scenario though, correct voltage, phasing etc, one building has had 4 burnouts on sealed systems. Possibly manufacturing errors?
    Don't let your ego get in the way of a good decision

Drier Problems

I have also seen a lot of the drier failures that you are talking about on their package units. Most of the driers usually stop up within the first month or two of operation. The other thing we have noticed is that we usually don't have drier problems until after the "INSIDE" condenser coil stops up with junk. I know that most of the driers are not rated for the size of compressor that they are on and I also feel that when the condensers get stopped up that we raise the temperature on the the system that we start breaking down the oil and this helps attribute to the drier problem.

Drier Problems

From the driers I have taken apart it doesn't appear to be slag more like the carbon or oil soaked driers. I really think that the oil is breaking down and stopping the driers up. I know that the temperatures that I have seen when the coils were stopped up were excessive and I think that is part of the problem. Trane has said that the undersized drier is not a problem since the system was put together and nitrogen was used during the brazing process but I have some doubts about that. I know that when I change out the drier to one that is rated for the capacity of the compressor that I do not have that particular problem show up again. It may be that the velocity through the drier is just to great. Trane told me the only problem that would cause is a reduction in capacity. In Tennessee when you buy a 20 ton rtu we usually expect to get around 20 tons of cooling out of it I don't know about other places though...

It would be nice if you could take digital pictures of the problems, ( like the goodman guy in hall of shame) just to get a better idea of the problem....

Drier Problems

I will see if I can find any of the driers that haven't been sent back to trane. If I have any I will be glad to take pictures of them.

Do they have economizers? Are they using Johnson controllers in em? There was a rash of problems with them chattering the compressors and contactors, causing burnouts.
    About the year 2000 or so seems to be the date of these things. Carrier had em too, just changed a burned out 6 ton scroll compressor on a 12 ton RTU last week. Both contactors and OFM really smoked as well. Good thing I left the econo jump out plug in there
    Will check it out more after it cools off in the fall.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I agree with you guys, The driers look like they should be on a 5 ton system, not a 10. I installed new sporlan HH driers with a rated cap. for 10 tons
    Having a problem with oil breakdown with dirty condenser coils..... trane needs to address this.
    Anyone know what oil they are running in new R22 systems? 150?

Picturing it now..... Coils get dirty, head pressure goes up, oil breaks down, cloggs drier, raises head pressure even more, Compressor burns out, Units out of warranty, Customer pays big $$$$... Hmmm.....

I didn't install the units, so i could not offer the warranty. The owner said since he was buying Tranes, and they were supposed to be good units, he did not think he would need an extended warranty. At least not under 5 years.
    Reguardless, they should have at least 5 years miminum on the compressor..
    Just my opinion.
    We did clean all the condenser coils. I recommended he make sure this was done more frequently.........

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast