Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I have recently through Ebay bought a semi hermtic analyser a2 annie and have had good results from it on commerical cabinets such as foster williams and danfoss le unite hermetique (techsumh) compressors does anyone know if this company made a model which can start compressors over 5 hp

Anything over 5 hp would most likely be 3 phase not too much need for an analyzer with that. does anyone make a 5+ hp single phase compressor at all ?

Annies are pretty much a thing of the past these days.a digital ohm meter will give you all the information you need. If a compressor doesnt start after you have replaced the start capacitor run capacitor or relay it probably is toast. Most good digital multimeters will also test capacitors as well.

But using the Annie before replacing all the start components will save you time. Quicker to put 3 clips on than it is to put new components on to me anyway. The Annie has freed a couple of compressors up for us though so we didnt have to change and they are still running to this day.

I have a 3 phase Annie, but haven't used it in quite a while. Don't know what the maximum hp it will start is.

I have one of the old Robinaire start cords. Anybody still have one of them, and do they still make them? I usually will try the start cord first.

Originally posted by gdavis
    But using the Annie before replacing all the start components will save you time. Quicker to put 3 clips on than it is to put new components on to me anyway. The Annie has freed a couple of compressors up for us though so we didnt have to change and they are still running to this day.

I have had a few questions come to me from the field about diagnosing fractional hp units which are not starting.
    First thing I do is ask if they have an Annie. Of course I know they do not.
    I mean, over the years, I know of maybe just one or two guys who have owned and used their Annie's for small equipment.
    And who carries all those tiny caps and relays? No one does. So you either buy and use an Annie, or you buy one of those little jump start kits for fractional hp units and clip it in where the start components go and see what happens.

As far as there not being a need for an Annie today, that is like saying since we now have fabulous filter driers, we no longer need to watch out for moisture inside of sealed systems!

Nope! Not gonna work. We need the Annie's and we need to watch out for moisture.

Boy that was a lousey analygy but hey ... it's all I could come up with on the spur of the moment.

Talking

When your sitting on the spur, a moment can be a long time

Originally posted by hvacmd2002
    I have one of the old Robinaire start cords. Anybody still have one of them, and do they still make them? I usually will try the start cord first.
    They still sell them, bought one a couple of years ago. They are handy to confirm if its the comp. or the start components. Course as soon as I bought em I ended up behind a desk. Guess I could hook it up to the spare chair in the office and press the start button as required!
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

i usually try a 3n1 start relay if im working on a small unit.They are normally only used on cap tube systems but i have used them on txv systems as well.ive never owned or will bother buying an annie.I was wondering do annies only come in 115volt?

Lowtemp

Originally posted by lowtemp
    i usually try a 3n1 start relay if im working on a small unit.
    Are those the ones that come with a couple of wire caps and you have to splice into the existing wiring? Just wondering?
    I pray not for an easy life but that I be a strong person.

Confused

i have not seen a robinair start coed but i have seen the theortical wiring diagram in ac book

do you guys in the usa have trouble with le unite or techsumech start capacitors we regularlly get them blow on units after about six months or so use

lots of our units are run off the main supply linked to ups systems and generator sets as we get small transiant power drops

Originally posted by lowtemp
    i usually try a 3n1 start relay if im working on a small unit.They are normally only used on cap tube systems but i have used them on txv systems as well.ive never owned or will bother buying an annie.I was wondering do annies only come in 115volt?
    Thats a good cheap handy way to test out a unit. A "go-no go gage".

Annie's do come in 115 as well as 230v models.
    Personally, I see only the need for the 115 volt model. Even with those cheapie start circuits, the Annie is a good diagnostic tool to have.
    But of course, if you dont service much of that small stuff, it's probably best to stick with those cheapie relay/cap circuits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast