Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good luck to you. I've been around our area supply houses to try to contact a couple of their local techs to get an idea of how their operation is and if it's worth checking into. It's the most reliable way of finding out things like turnover rate and management attitude toward personel assets.

trb did you hear anything from anyone about SSG? There's only two other techs in this state, and there's no supply houses around that they'd go to, ssg ships all parts out to there techs.

No I haven't. I was really hoping to. I figured even if they order mfg direct parts they would still get common use mechanical, plumbing, and electrical stock from local vendors. I may take another look at this company here in Mass. I've only stayed at 3 jobs in the past 18 years, so yes, I'm somewhat just as selective as those who hire are.

Quote Originally Posted by smsfire2003 View Post
    For what it's worth I had the interview, company seems to have alot to offer.. This location is currently a coffee only satellite but they're here to expand and grab buisness out here...I'm in CT and have yet to see a proffesional company out here. They seem to have they're ducks in line and know what they're doing. The pay and benefits far exceed my current job...I work for a mom n pop shop and get paid crap and treated like crap..so maybe this may be the right change....
    I'd love to hear more about your experience with SSG so I could make a more informed descision
    I have seen this company at the McDonald's I service in MA and CT. working on those caffe machines. Maybe I'll bump into you on occasion!

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    I have seen this company at the McDonald's I service in MA and CT. working on those caffe machines. Maybe I'll bump into you on occasion!
    Did you ever get the chance to talk to the techs? They seem to be happy with SSG?? Just so nervous leaving my current job and going to the unknown

Did you ever get the chance to talk to the techs? They seem to be happy with SSG?? Just so nervous leaving my current job and going to the unknown
    Haven't talked to any of the techs yet, but the customers sure are complaining. It focuses mainly on these Franke machines that cost a fortune to purchase and now are costing a bundle for repeat service. My boss is considering sending someone to the training class to take over. With my background on equipment it will more than likely be me although I have been on the cold side of the biz for a while now. Heck , they still call and request me for many hot issues! If I see a tech I will ask . I personally think that it is more about how they(the customer) are treating the machine than it is the tech. Just make sure you have the parts to repair something. Nothing is more irretating to them if you come without a means to repair their stuff.

For what it's worth I had the interview, company seems to have alot to offer.. This location is currently a coffee only satellite but they're here to expand and grab buisness out here...I'm in CT and have yet to see a proffesional company out here. They seem to have they're ducks in line and know what they're doing. The pay and benefits far exceed my current job...I work for a mom n pop shop and get paid crap and treated like crap..so maybe this may be the right change....
    I'd love to hear more about your experience with SSG so I could make a more informed descision
    Thats funny, when I went through coffee training about a year ago, one of the guys in the class was THE tech in the Ct market. Sounds to me as though he wasn't impressed with the operation if he hasn't lasted.

I don't doubt that the pay and benefits that they offer would exceed a mom and pop place, and honestly I do hope that the company can and will get it's act together. I worked for one of the original companies that merged to become SSG. That company, sadly now extinct, was a dream to work for. It was after the merge when a centralized management came into play that things started to go down hill. SOMETHING has caused a lot of techs to leave this company and not just in one location. I'm talking nationwide here.

Some of the poor decisions would include making an IT manager the president of a service company. You can imagine how well that went and luckily he didn't last long in the position. Then i was witness to a parts dept employee with nearly 30 years with the company fired. I'm sure that he did something to deserve being canned but if you read some of my other posts on this thread, maybe he didn't. Anyway the point that I'm getting to is, this guy was replaced with not another experienced parts person, but a completely INexperienced dispatcher. You can only imagine how well that went. I'll give her credit, she gave it her best shot but the supply line for parts derailed quickly. Next Day Air ordered parts would show up weeks later and it was the techinician who took the heat for that, not the person who actually dropped the ball. Anyway, now there was a hole in the dispatch department. Does SSG fill that with an experienced dispatcher? Of course they don't! They thought it best to fill that hole in dispatching with a woman from Accounts Receivable. Care to guess how dispatching flowed after that? Not only was she completely out of her element dispatching, she also had no knowledge of the area that she was dispatching for. Those Next Day Air parts that arrived 2 weeks late would sit at the shop perhaps another week or more while she would dispatch new service calls instead of clearing the ones on hold for parts. When customers would call in to complain that their equipment had been down for weeks, who do you think caught the heat for that? If you guessed the service tech, you'd be correct. Then after taking an ass chewing from SSG management, the tech would then get the same treatment from the restaurant manager when he FINALLY showed up to repair the machine. If the technicians complained to management about what was ACTUALLY causing problems, they were just blown off.

I hate to sound like a negative person about this subject, but the truth of the matter is that I gave SSG a second chance and ended up leaving again. At this point, I personally would not even consider going back to work for them. I'm not the only former technician who feels this way about SSG, I'm just the type of person who likes to spread the word. I knew that this post would only be seen by a small percentage of potential employees, and so I've been told upper management at SSG (Hi Dale.) but the bottom line is that I hate to see good people treated poorly. As I've said previously, this is MY opinion. You can at least go into battle with knowledge of your adversary.

Seems as though leave one evil for another evil....well I guess if I leave my current employer at least at SSG i'll be getting paid more..

maybe out here things are different, who knows....

I'm not sure if that same tech remains, all I know is they currently have two other techs in the CT area, and are looking for another tech with "more" experience, which is where I come in I guess...

At my current employer everything's the techs fault, takes forever to get parts and we don't even order our own parts

ar4s1, what about hours where you getting 40 a week at least?

Just so concerned to leave my current place, the pays not that great, the management is terrible, customer service and training are worse, but at least I know I got a stable paycheck...SSG has the make up hours for 40 hours a week, but no guarantee how long that'll last

Seems as though leave one evil for another evil....well I guess if I leave my current employer at least at SSG i'll be getting paid more..

maybe out here things are different, who knows....

I'm not sure if that same tech remains, all I know is they currently have two other techs in the CT area, and are looking for another tech with "more" experience, which is where I come in I guess...

At my current employer everything's the techs fault, takes forever to get parts and we don't even order our own parts

ar4s1, what about hours where you getting 40 a week at least?

Just so concerned to leave my current place, the pays not that great, the management is terrible, customer service and training are worse, but at least I know I got a stable paycheck...SSG has the make up hours for 40 hours a week, but no guarantee how long that'll last
    I have no knowledge of the market up there so I honestly can't give you a reliable answer to that. But you can forget about 40 hour weeks. Be ready for 50-60 more realistically. And if you work 60 they'll expect 70. If you work 70, they'll expect 80. As long as you play along you'll be great but as soon as you can't deliver on that you become a piece of garbage. Read all of the posts on this thread to see what happened to one of the techs who did whatever, whenever and wherever SSG asked. Some markets were run as a guaranteed 40 hour paycheck but you were on call 24/7 365 days a year. If they had no calls for you to run during the day, your "after hours" calls were at straight time not time and a half. If you hadn't worked 40 hours Monday thru Friday, your Saturday calls were at straight time until hit 40.

I can tell you this about SSG. Their training is head and shoulders above their competition, unless the customer is McDonalds SSG doesn't really care when they get taken care of. Management will still suck and everything will still be your fault but if a bigger paycheck will fix that for you then I wish you the best of luck.

Yea, I need the luck thanks
    I think I'm going to take up the offer with SSG, my current employer sounds about the same if not worse...my current employer cares about no one especially the techs never orders parts on time, we the techs have to go back to customers a month later with $800 + bills for stuff that could've been fixed last month...I have ZERO benefits only thing I get is 1 week vacation and a couple sick days.
    lol grass sounds greener at SSG....trust me my current company is no cake job lmao
    just wish there was more opportunities out in Connecticut but really theres not much out this way, I guess atleast at SSG i'll get some more training a little more green in the wallet and some benefits , just hoping for the best and hopefully things have changed since you've been there....how long ago did you leave?

I've been gone less than a year. I wish you the best of luck! Enjoy Cincinnati and Nashville. That's where the bulk of your training will likely occur. One important thing to remember about training. Angry Ben (you'll know who he is) likes chubby girls! Just ask him. If you're into history or aviation at all the Air Force Museum is about an hour north of Cincinnati at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Its open to the public and addmission is free.

Wow!! I must be the guy who hired in after you left in Columbus. I gotta say....you about said everything EXACTLY how I feel. I started in September 2010. I have experienced some great training (From Ben) and I am very glad I did, but I'm not treated as a person with a family. I'm a number and thats how it is. I came here with an extensive HVAC background but no food service experience.
    I go to some training classes, do some ride alongs and then WHAMM, I'm sent on calls to fix stuff I have never even seen before. I was sent to a Subway to work on a proofer, I didnt even know the WTF a proofer is, much less how it works OR why it's not working properly. So after a while of doing this sort of stuff, I get an email saying that I have the highest callback rate in our area (1st off, theres only two of us, and the other guy has been here for years. So compared to him, yeah, I am goning to have a high callback rate. 2ndly, I dont have the experience or training for these kind of calls) and that I am going to be doing Coffee only calls for a while. Not that they are going to give me MORE training but that they are going to give me LESS to do.
    It all pays the same so......I'm fine with that, but....there isnt 40 hrs worth of coffee calls in Columbus on an average week so I have to drive all over the place for coffee calls.
    Any ways...I have friends with college degree's who are unemployed so....I'm happy to have a job, even if it's not the best job.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyefan View Post
    Wow!! I must be the guy who hired in after you left in Columbus. I gotta say....you about said everything EXACTLY how I feel. I started in September 2010. I have experienced some great training (From Ben) and I am very glad I did, but I'm not treated as a person with a family. I'm a number and thats how it is. I came here with an extensive HVAC background but no food service experience.
    I go to some training classes, do some ride alongs and then WHAMM, I'm sent on calls to fix stuff I have never even seen before. I was sent to a Subway to work on a proofer, I didnt even know the WTF a proofer is, much less how it works OR why it's not working properly. So after a while of doing this sort of stuff, I get an email saying that I have the highest callback rate in our area (1st off, theres only two of us, and the other guy has been here for years. So compared to him, yeah, I am goning to have a high callback rate. 2ndly, I dont have the experience or training for these kind of calls) and that I am going to be doing Coffee only calls for a while. Not that they are going to give me MORE training but that they are going to give me LESS to do.
    It all pays the same so......I'm fine with that, but....there isnt 40 hrs worth of coffee calls in Columbus on an average week so I have to drive all over the place for coffee calls.
    Any ways...I have friends with college degree's who are unemployed so....I'm happy to have a job, even if it's not the best job.
    LOL! Are you the guy that I pass on 23 coming out of Delaware most mornings? If so, wave at the Custom Air truck headed north, that'll be me! Luckily I got all of my training from Angry Ben before the SSG merge so I was already comfortable with MOST of the calls that I was sent on.

If you're wanting to jump ship, I think we're looking for an experienced tech or two. One of our guys leaves for Afghanistan tomorrow and I'm on my way in July. Is CA perfect? No. Are they the highest paying company in central Ohio? No. Will they treat you like a human being? YES! Will they ASK you if you want to run another call? YES! A LOT of good benefits and OT over 8 hours a day not 40 hours per week. I actually hired in at a lower hourly rate than SSG but because of the OT policy, I averaged $100 more take home every week!!! Something to think about man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast