Thread: humidity/temp/dewpoint questions

Post Likes

humidity/temp/dewpoint questions

I noticed that some thermostats are now starting to include hygrometers and have the ability to dehumidify on demand. Can someone clarify setpoints for me? I have been searching other threads and noticed a lot of people state to keep RH at around 50. some people say to keep it at below 50. Shouldn't this always be stated with a temperature since they are related? For example, a temperature of 76 degrees with a 50 RH does not have the same water content as 73 at 50 RH. At 73/50, the rh would be around 44 at 76 degrees and 42 at 78 degrees if moisture content is held constant. Therefore, a person that keeps his house at 70 degrees and has a RH of 60 does not have a humidity problem. Is it better to look at dewpoint instead of temp/RH? Based on the numbers, it looks like a dewpoint below 59 should feel comfortable.

Would a temperature of 73 and RH of 55 be considered good considering the following factors?
    OD temp 88 degrees
    OD RH 71 percent
    OD 77 Dewpoint

Does anyone have any literature that explains any of this well?

Post Likes

Part of the story

Try this
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    At normal room temperatures in the cooling season, keep the indoor dew point below 55 degrees.

This is easier than fretting about relative humidity. It has "relative" in the term for a reason.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    I don't.

But, a 59° dew point is too high for any indoor temp below 77°.

70°DB X 59°DP=68.1%RH
    72°DB X 59°DP=63.6%RH
    74°DB X 59°DP=59.5%RH
    76°DB X 59°DP=55.6%RH

At 72°DB X 59°DP, it would feel more like it was at 79° at 43.1%RH.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by venting View Post
    I noticed that some thermostats are now starting to include hygrometers and have the ability to dehumidify on demand. Can someone clarify setpoints for me? I have been searching other threads and noticed a lot of people state to keep RH at around 50. some people say to keep it at below 50. Shouldn't this always be stated with a temperature since they are related? For example, a temperature of 76 degrees with a 50 RH does not have the same water content as 73 at 50 RH. At 73/50, the rh would be around 44 at 76 degrees and 42 at 78 degrees if moisture content is held constant. Therefore, a person that keeps his house at 70 degrees and has a RH of 60 does not have a humidity problem. Is it better to look at dewpoint instead of temp/RH? Based on the numbers, it looks like a dewpoint below 59 should feel comfortable.

Would a temperature of 73 and RH of 55 be considered good considering the following factors?
    OD temp 88 degrees
    OD RH 71 percent
    OD 77 Dewpoint

Does anyone have any literature that explains any of this well?
    Even the engineer uses RH to control the HVAC. So don't feel bad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I don't.

But, a 59° dew point is too high for any indoor temp below 77°.

70°DB X 59°DP=68.1%RH
    72°DB X 59°DP=63.6%RH
    74°DB X 59°DP=59.5%RH
    76°DB X 59°DP=55.6%RH

At 72°DB X 59°DP, it would feel more like it was at 79° at 43.1%RH.

Plus-- Consider some that 59^F dew point air gets into a 65^F crawlspace/basement, results in +80%RH space that grows mold. The 50%RH requirement has some meaning regarding moisture absorption by the materials in the home. Idealy, storage space in basements/crawls should be 50%RH. The dew point will depend on the temperature in the space. This is why dehumidifiers use %RH to for a dehumidistat.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in