Hi all.

I'm wondering if someone can direct me to a book or other sources that would provide a very basic overview of commercial HVAC systems.

If there was something like "The Idiot's Guide to Commercial HVAC for Building Managers" that's what I need.

I am the building contact for several buildings -- each about 120,000 gsf. I am not responsible for servicing or maintaining the HVAC system but I would like to understand the basics better, be able to speak the language and understand what the service shops tell me.

Thanks in advance!

sincerely,

Newb

Modern refrigeration and air conditioning is a good book and warm air heating for climate control is another.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Cool

You may want to check with your local Trane office, they have a course titled " Non Technical View of A/C" that might help.

Specifics?

Any idea what systems are in the facilities for which you are responsible? Starting with learning about your own systems is a nice start.

Also, you need to make friends with your HVAC service tech and try to follow him around when he's working on your buildings. Usually these guys are more than willing to tell you what they know if you're nice to them....

Offer to take them out for lunch ever so often
    Hey mosquito, quit biting (slap!!) me... ©
    Anyone like Josey Wales?
    C'mon, you know I'm right!

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah the HVAC guy for my buildings is real nice and he's getting me something to read. I just didn't want to take up a lot of his time with something I should probably do my homework on first.

The non-tech course sounds good too.

Thanks!

Can you be more specific as to what the system or systems are that you will be maintaining? What brand?

If you want something dealing with rooftop units get a copy of "Perfectimm's" interactive CD training titled "Rooftop Units". You can order it from your local York distributor, Source 1, or do an internet search.

Also, go to http://www.lamabooks.com and you will find a number of very well written short but good books covering a number of topics and covering each topic as well as I have seen.

Norm