How to determine age of furnace

I'm trying to find out how old is our gas furnace.
    It'a Sears Roebuck @ Co. brand.

The numbers I see are 303.931511

It also says Simpson Sears Ltd. on the bottom.

This house was built in 1958.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how many years can a furnace work efficiently?

its old, i just read history of simpson-sears on there website and looks like they used that name unill the late 70's and then just went to the name sears, i'm sure your money will be well spent on a new furnace. the money you will save will surely pay for the cost in a short amount of time.
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    HVAC Tech/Part Time HVAC Instructor Fortis College
    Pinellas County Florida

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.”
    Larry Flynt quote

Thanks for the reply, Saylor. The furnace has been making weird noises this past winter so we were really thinking of replacing it.

Another question. Would it be better to have the new furnace installed by a contractor or by our local gas company? They currently have a program where you can get a rebate if they install an Energy Star qualified furnace.

Thanks again for any info.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by carlene View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Saylor. The furnace has been making weird noises this past winter so we were really thinking of replacing it.

Another question. Would it be better to have the new furnace installed by a contractor or by our local gas company? They currently have a program where you can get a rebate if they install an Energy Star qualified furnace.

Thanks again for any info.
    Why not get a few contractor proposals in order to see if theirs is a good deal? Are there any manufacturer rebates available on your unit? Qualify for tax credit?

The local gas company may just sub out the work anyway, get three qoutes, including one from the gas company...and install a CO detector.
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    HVAC Tech/Part Time HVAC Instructor Fortis College
    Pinellas County Florida

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.”
    Larry Flynt quote