Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

hardy har har

hardy har har

i'm here yet fellas.
    things are going well. i still have the vacuum pump on it. the micron gauge is going lower and lower each day. i'm changing the oil in the vacuum pump 3 times a day... remember i only live 2 blocks from this place so it isn't so bad.
    i hope to charge it with oil and refer on thursday and see if the compressors even start.
    it'll run all day thursday and i'll replace the filters and the oil the next monday and go again for a week then replace the filters again.
    i hope it all works out

thanks for the input again!!

aaron

Originally posted by turbovac
    each pint of water will make a thousand cubic of vapor, to dehydrate the chiller you will need pumping ratios of 150 to one, any water in the pump will ruin this ratio, a pump with an adjustable ballast will help remove water from the oil, the gentlemen were dead on about the use of a cold trap. good luck
    ???
    Aaron, we never heard if you utilized the cold trap.
    ???

Inquiring minds want to know

Aaron, in case you havent purchased a cold trap yet, you can use a simple roll of copper tubing to accomplish the same affect.

Take a roll of 5/8" soft copper refrigeration tubing. Weld 3/8" or 1/2" brass flares on each end.
    Set the roll of tubing in a pan like a bread pan. With sides.

Have the two ends sticking straight up out of the pan.

Now cover the copper tubing with dry ice. It would be best to have ball valves on either end of the copper tubing, also.

Remember to use your heavy gloves whenever handling dry ice.

Do not transport dry ice in enclosed vehicle with driver. It will outgas and overcome you.
    Bummer.

Attach this tubing affair as you would a cold trap.
    In line with your vacuum pump.

Every once in awhile, you will need to stop vacuuming and remove this tubing coil from the "bread pan", heat it up and drive out the moisture. Run some of that CF-20 thru there once all the water has melted.

I think I remember a 1500 micron vacuum will boil water in a 70F ambient room.

Are you using Halogen flood lights at several points on this system?
    Just another tip.

ummm. do i have to answer?

An update please?

update

hey friends.

here is the update. i've got everything back together and insulated. i'm waiting on the vacuum pump yet. i'm down to about 1350 microns.

the fun part is that i was on vacation last week for a few days and i leave tomorrow until sunday. so i'd almost rather put some nitrogen in it and leave it set til i get back.

the beautiful thing is that they only need half of the chiller - the half that works. it's been real cool here and their biggest machine hasn't been online and won't be online for a while.

well, it's time to pack

see you guys when i get back, and i'll keep you posted.

Wow!

You should call it , "The Thriller Chiller"
    4 stars says new york times..Slow in parts,
    but a good read overall!

UPDATE!!!

well. i started the unit today. i got an excellent vacuum on it, although it took me 4 weeks to achieve it.
    i have high water cores in my liquid line and a high water core in the suction line filter drier. i added 2 gallons of new oil.
    1 of the two compressors (they are tandom remember) will run non-stop til friday at 6am.

when you do you think i should change out my high water cores for new ones?

i was thinking tomorrow late afternoon.

should i use high water cores again for a few days? or just put in normal cores.

thanks,

aaron

I agree with drsuperheat. I had a simlier problem and I used a cold pot. Look it up in you Tech manual. Never thouht I use the cold pot. It worked.

Glad to hear you got it going!

yeah, it's still running too yet. i'm excited. and i got paid, which is more important. took me 32 hours total.

thanks for all your help!

aaron

#2 hours and you saved the customer a s**t load of $$$$4 verses a new unit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast