We are thinking about leak testing our absorber(McQuay 500 ton), I was wondering how much feron to add to the unit in order to get a proper leak test done.

Ok so now your high temp generater problem is an air leak? 30#s of R22 usually does it backed up with nitrogen to around 5 PSI. Id check the rupture disk first if its the Iconel type.
    Originally posted by gfhelper
    We are thinking about leak testing our absorber(McQuay 500 ton), I was wondering how much feron to add to the unit in order to get a proper leak test done.

dont forget the paladium cells, on the one McQuay direct fired I have had the pleasure of working on, each one started leaking over time, replaced a couple of them and then finally gave up, just capped them off and check for hydrogen now and then, so far no problems.

Dude
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

I normally use about 30# of r-22 on a couple of 500 ton Carrier direct fired absorbers. Which does the job. On the 1500 ton double effect chillers I take care of I use 100# of r-22, which also works good. You can pump it up with nitrogen to about 12#. Just double check for a rupture disc. Normally single feffect machines dont have rupture disc depending on the manufacture or customers request.

well we are going to try and rule out that we have an air leak, and yes we have also closed off our PD cell assemblies. I have not been able to find any info from the manufactor on our burner as to how to make it run cooler as was offered by some else. It is a Gordon - Piatt burner.

Our rupture disk is made by BS&B it is a JRS type.

[Edited by gfhelper on 07-12-2004 at 10:13 AM]

one time I had the bright idea to leak check with nitrogen and an ultasonic leak detector .
    is this really happening or not