Why dont the manufacturer's come out with a chart for how much each size drier holds of freon? Instead of having to guess in the field. Looks like the critical charge units would be able to appreciate it.

i thought some of them had the amount on them i havent noticed that.

i havent been in the field all that long but all the ones i have replaced were the same size.

i'm sure the manufatures site would have the amout some were.

It is on the side of the box when you use Sporlan and Alco. Parker has some on the box but if you look at their spec sheet your eyes will cross. If you want to look up and print the spec sheets all of them are on their websites.

I see more undersized liquid driers on HVAC than I do refrigeration systems. Wonder why that is.

Yes guys, I know... but I did say undersized. But you don't put a 3 ton R-22 rated drier on a 6 tons of 22.

On a gas-pak of say ... eight or nine pounds of charge, it no big deal to replace an 083 drier with a 163 drier. You have plenty of refrigerant to make up the space with.

It's when you get into the twenty ounces or less that this rule becomes critical.

Over 20oz. is progressivly less sensetive to drier size than 20oz. and less.

Low temp systems are more sensetive to moisture than hi-temp A/C systems are.
    So you have guys getting away with using driers of less than adequate capacities, simply becasue they wont realize a critical need in a short time frame.

Liquid line driers come with weight charts, suction line is just gas, no biggie, add a smidgeon more for them.
    Don't make things too complicated. I don't trust simply weighing in the charge anyway.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Well I really dont ever look on the sides of the boxes....usually open it and throw it on the ground so I have to pick it up later. One of the guys in RSES meeting had mentioned it to me and it just made me wonder about it. Thanks for the help though

Originally posted by lusker
    It is on the side of the box when you use Sporlan and Alco. Parker has some on the box but if you look at their spec sheet your eyes will cross.

Just leave it up to the counter guys..."I need a drier with the capacity of (whatever)tonnage"
    plus what Diceman said, don't make it too complicated, add a smidgeon
    Hey mosquito, quit biting (slap!!) me... ©
    Anyone like Josey Wales?
    C'mon, you know I'm right!

Every part you buy, you should read the literature at least once. The amount of knowledge they provide is incredible. Especially Sporlan.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Originally posted by frozensolid
    Every part you buy, you should read the literature at least once. The amount of knowledge they provide is incredible. Especially Sporlan.
    That's quite true. The Sporlan info ought to be good.......'cuz one of our own, Andy Schoen, wrote a bunch of that literature as I understand.

It's good practice to keep a binder (or two) in the truck for all the installation and service info you get. It helps to keep you up to date and may even get you out of a jam one day.

Well I do have a notebook with some manuals, mostly ice machines though. I never keep them for the AC and Heat units. I have a milk crate full of books and I even managed to have some organized by alphabetical order.....neat freak here