Small business, used equip install help! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Im located outside Dallas.

In setting up this business, I have had to deal with numerous trade professionals. And I have to pay very close attention to bids/estimates and where the money is broken down. Here's an example of why.

I needed a grease trap put in. I'm a fairly technical person, and know my way around a lot of things. Not that I'm capable of actually doing these things, it just means that I like to know whats involved. The grease trap is a good example. 10 to 12 feet of concrete cutting, dig a decent sized hole outside, pipe it, pass inspection, backfill it in and cement it up. The bulk of this work no doubt is digging that big hole and trench. I received 5 estimates. The range was from $3k to $11k.

Fellas, thats a huge range. All i'm trying to point out is, that If i did not attempt to understand [not the technical side] the overall process thats involved and where the money is being spent, I would be a fool easily parted from his money.

The equipment is in great shape, came out of a functioning Albertsons. Brand new one piece of this would cost over $15k. Used from a local dealer [not installed] would cost over $5k. Now, it's install time

I only seek to be able to decide for myself if one contractor is blowing smoke or not. I'm not trying to be a refrigeration expert. The condensors will be out back in a dog house. The contractor is going to sell me a condensor/compressor for the 5 door unit and i have the original one that goes with the meat case. Yes, I agree, its a lot of work, which I'm willing to compensate fairly for it. But i dont want to be just anotha sucka. Know what I mean?

uhhh would that supposed 600 bucks in parts include the condensing unit needed ????????

How about the price of copper lately? Talk about sticker shock. Are they installing defrost timers, thermostats and pump-down solenoids? And as someone else asked, does this $6k include the new unit? I think your estimate of $600 for parts is way low. I'd be surprised if that even covered pipe, fittings and insulation. You'd be amazed at how much a 1-1/8" long radius elbow cost us wholesale. These are not plumbing fittings we're using here.

[Edited by hvacmd2002 on 07-15-2004 at 09:06 PM]

Being in business is tough for sure.
    You will get open in due time if you develope a trust with your contractors.

Maybe you could speak with the local inspector and ask for a referal.
    He will know who's work he likes inspecting.

There are contractors here on this forum who are listed in the contractors section. Maybe one is near you.

Your making it to hard.
    It's easy, get ten prices and take the lowest one.

Originally posted by cynic
    uhhh would that supposed 600 bucks in parts include the condensing unit needed ????????

No, thats a different issue. I was quoted about $500 for that unit "maybe".

To make a long story short, I am getting the work done turnkey by a decent fellow here. The price he quoted me is fair and I did not attempt to haggle him. I received two estimates, and they were both in the same ballpark. So that basically verified everything for me. I also spoke to another retailer here in the area who had similar work done, and the price was similar.

It really just came down to which of the two I liked better. Like I said, first impressions right?

Originally posted by hvacmd2002
    These are not plumbing fittings we're using here.

[Edited by hvacmd2002 on 07-15-2004 at 09:06 PM]
    Yeah, thats what I liked about this fellow I hired. He explains everything, even in more detail than I actually want lol. So I just yeah, yeah, yeah him He mentioned something about Type L copper. Its no doubt that these parts aren't cheap, and I know that. Not like I can run down to the local hardware store right

Sounds like your right on track with your installing contractor. Fine

Isn't "L" copper the expensive stuff from Home Depot????

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Isn't "L" copper the expensive stuff from Home Depot????

not sure if you're just being funny or what, cuz i dont get it, im not sure what type he mentioned, but he mentioned it was not the same thing as plumbing copper of course.

Hey guys remember this guy?...He's still sweating prices.

Tonight I performed a search of this site concerning Hussman reefers. I had a Hussman R-12 outside freeze box down and a chiller suffering low oil pressure. The Hussman box was full of product at 30 degrees and climbing, so I needed help fast.

Anyway, I came across this josiesmarket post and tagged it to read later. After I got the Hussman started and back to -10, I googled "josiesmarket" and this is what I got. I think some of you might get a kick out of it:

http://www.blue-crab.org/yabbse/inde...;threadid=1115

It's obvious the guy got his used equipment installed after all. And he is still pestering folks about prices. No wonder Boss has an anti-price policy here.

I love it!

Freezeking is on the money.......
    You never mentioned the condensing units. I seriously doubt you have "outdoor" units, as they are currently indoors. That may be where the bulk of the parts cost is. Not to mention cleaning up your system of a possible three refrigerant mixture...yuck! Ask your bidders if they are installing new outdoor units, if not they should be.

Hey guys remember this guy?...He's still sweating prices.

Thanks for the research... What a tool!
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12