Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Machine 101

Originally posted by Freezeking2000
    I love ice machines myself!

I've been doing all comercial and residential a/c work,
    and I hate.. ice machines.

Do you have a suggestion of a good book or manual,so that I can learn to love.. ice machine troubleshooting.

I hate to turn down easy money.

Easy Money........

Originally posted by kool it man
    I hate to turn down easy money.
    If you think servicing ice machines is easy money then I suggest you stay away from them altogether. Every machine is distinctly different and even within their lineups there are vast differences and changes made over the years on the machines. It's not easy keeping up to speed if you want to do a good job.

If you have little or no patience, then icemaker service is not for you. At times watching grass grow will provide you with more entertainment.

Go to all of the manufacturer's websites and download their service manuals. Study them and have them handy along with their tech support 800 numbers for when (not if) you get stuck.

Re: Easy Money........

Originally posted by icemeister
    If you have little or no patience, then icemaker service is not for you. At times watching grass grow will provide you with more entertainment
    Go to all of the manufacturer's websites and download their service manuals. Study them and have them handy along with their tech support 800 numbers for when (not if) you get stuck.
    [/B]
    __________________________________________________ ________________

All I can add is, attend every service seminar, for every manufacturer, each year, without fail. If you want to be good, develop contacts, this is a must. And if you think ice machine work is easy money... well... good judgement has caused an end to this post.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Thanks for the posts, I don't have paitence, which is why I've stayed away from icemakers.

thanks for the info...

If you get the chance, drop by the supply houses who sell service manuals for the top three common machines.
    Hoshi
    Mani
    Snots-man

An ice machine has a serviceable life expectancy of five to eight years.
    Five if fed good power, fair water and clean spotless condensor. And cleaned on an as needed basis.

Eight if fed good power, properly filtered water, spotless condensor, properly cleaned on a regular basis and never touched by a hack!

So when your buying your manuals, maybe one for each brand, choose the manual which is of the most popular model you will be encountering in the field now.
    It will be systems ranging in age from four to eight years old.

Hosi, for one, has a ten step quickie diagnostic chart that is worth it's weight in gold.

Mani is also offering a chart.

Snots-man ... if ya run into one of them suckers .. just call DiceMan. He LOOOOOOOVES them!

But then again .... he's also been known to be fond of goats.

There used to be a lot more different brands out there than there are now. But I guess there are still quite a few:

Hoshizaki
    Manitowoc
    Scotsman
    Iceomatic
    Crystal Tips
    Cornelius

In the old days, you could work on ice machines every day for 10 years and still run into a brand you never saw before. It's amazing how many different methods of making ice people have come up with. Only a few designs proved to be reliable.

I think the number of different designs may be one reason many refrigeration people hate to work on them.

Crystal Tips is gone and Cornelius should be.

Originally posted by midhvac
    There used to be a lot more different brands out there than there are now.
    Hoshizaki
    http://www.hoshizakiamerica.com/
    Manitowoc
    http://www.manitowocice.com/Home/Home.asp
    Scotsman
    http://www.scotsman-ice.com/support/manualwelcome.pdf
    Iceomatic
    http://www.iceomatic.com/
    Crystal Tips
    NO ONE HOME...
    Cornelius
    http://www.cornelius.com/

Thanks for the info, I found these sites with downloadeble pdf tech manuals and training manuals...

Nothing will teach you ice makers except time and patience, lots of patience.............. Soon you will see all the little glitches each Mfgs has, by the time you figger em all out they will be obsolete, by then you will be ready for the institution and won't have to worry about them ever again, good luck.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Hey Popa Dice, when we all get to your place for the convention, are we gonna talk about the good ol days when you had hair color and ice makers had R-12?

When men were men, women were scarse and goats were afraid?

Hey Santa,
    So you are coming?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

The HVAC/R Professional's Field Guide to Ice Machine Service
    ISBN: 0912524553
    Format: Paperback, 1000pp
    Pub. Date: January 1990 Publisher: Business News Publishing Company

You men are forgetting my past favorite machine with pins and springs and an electronic controll board which was all coppied my Hoshi. The KOLD DRAFT Electronic cuber. I especially liked the dual evap ELOCTRONIC KOLD DRAFT units since you would be on it every month or so which was GREAT for $$$$ service!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast