Thread: Calibrated hands?

Post Likes
    I'm an average mechanic on my best days, but do you guys touch the pipes before you put the gauges on? I've been trying for a couple years to check suction, liquid, comp shell or body with my hands and then checking with the thermocouple and I'm getting pretty damn close..The old boys I used to work with (and admired) always said " how's it feel?".. rather than "what's your subcooling?" I guess it gets instinctive after awhile.
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

Post Likes
    I cant keep my hands off a unit. If i lost my right hand i might not be able to work on these things. Of course most of my temp guesses are wildly inaccurate, and nobody should ever shelve their thermocouple for their hands. I cant help touching everything on a compressor, or the lines. I even find myself waving my hand over my neihbors unit walking by it to get to his back door.

Post Likes

Cool I have a set of those!!!

80% plus of the time I can feel an absorber or a chiller and tell you whats wrong with it. I then bring out the tools for show. Makes the customer feel like they got their monies worth if I use tools besides my hands, ears, and sight.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by no8no3
    I even find myself waving my hand over my neihbors unit walking by it to get to his back door.
    heh, i bet most of us do that.

Post Likes
    Sorry. Misread your post. Thought it was an old girl friend trying to reach me.

Anyway, I have always done the same. First thing I do is listen, look and feel. Problem is I can do the same thing while trying to enjoy dinner in some restaurant and my mind wanders to the compressor short cycling on the package unit on the roof.

Weird, ever since I got in this business I can always tell the temp of where I am almost to the degree. I think your senses get heightened when you do a lot of trouble shooting. Drives me nuts sometimes.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes

Cool

Can't remember how many times my hands have found restrictions.
    Ditto abs, can't pass one without a hand scan.

Post Likes
    all the senses come into play with refer, thats one of the neat things with it.
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

Post Likes
    Originally posted by caosesvida
    all the senses come into play with refer, thats one of the neat things with it.
    Did you miss-spell a word? Senses can seem heightened with reefer !!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in