+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have I "bricked" a Smartserver?

Post Likes

Have I "bricked" a Smartserver?

I was trying to downgrade an Echelon Smartserver 2.0 to an e3. This was supposed to be a quick job and I needed to turn the graphics around quickly and didn't really have the time to work with a new interface right now. So I FTP'ed the image files for 3.03 and the bootrom 3.03 to the webserver and that didn't work too well. My Service LED stays solid now and my Power LED is "winking".
    Through HyperTerminal, it was saying I had a missing image file and needed to upgrade. So I took it off the job site and have been working with it this morning. I tried doing a complete "format" via the console and updating the bootrom, all to 3.03. This seemed to work okay, but it was still having issues saying, "WARNING: Shutdown process cannot be run due to failure in startup process." and was still operating in secure access mode. I tried rebooting several times and finally decided to format again and go back to the 4.02 Smartserver 2.0 configuration. This seemed to work okay, except I'm still getting the above WARNING when I try to reboot, though it attaches to the flash disk and loads the iLonSystem okay.

After all this, my biggest concern is that I'm still operating "in permanent secure access mode." I don't know how to get out of this and I've tried everything I can think of (or read). Is there another way to get this out of this mode or is this just a fancy paper weight now?
    Unfortunately, since this is an existing job, I would need to use the server in Standalone mode, which requires me to FTP a bunch of files to it and then do a manual addition of devices versus hosting it from a LNS server. If I could get it back to an e3, I could have the graphics done in 2 days. I don't mind the Contribute process because once I make one device, I do all the other similar devices through Dreamweaver.

Any help would be graciously appreciated.

Eric

Post Likes
    Have you called Echelon yet? http://echelon.com/support/contact.htm
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    "Permanent secure access mode" just means the check box on the Setup: Security web page is checked. It's not a problem - if you uncheck the box, that page will be disabled unless you boot up in secure access mode (cycle power with the service pin held in). Can you access the web pages? Does it work as an RNI?

I'm not sure about your LEDs. Have you tried commissioning?

Post Likes
    I was actually able to get it back. At the time, I was getting a WARNING when rebooting via the console that there was an issue with the shutdown process. It would otherwise reboot normally and attach to the flash, etc just fine. But my power LED would still blink the 5 rapid blinks and my service was solid orange. RNI was not working as I tried re-commissioning. I did another 'format' and then did a 'restoredefaults'.

This got me back to where I needed to be, which was a rolled back e3 from Smartserver. I like the web app of the Smart, but from the little I had time to play with it, the Standalone mode was much less intuitive than the app via a LNS tool. I understand the complaint about Contribute, but I've actually doen fairly well with that and using Dreamweaver in conjunction for rapid duplication and some glitch-free editing direct to html.

Last question, anyone have any experience using iLon 100 as a standalone webserver to Loytec L-IP's, 852 to lon? I've never done any 852, usually just FT-10 channels.

Post Likes
    Last question, anyone have any experience using iLon 100 as a standalone webserver to Loytec L-IP's, 852 to lon? I've never done any 852, usually just FT-10 channels.
    Not sure what you mean by stand alone unless you are referring to the smartserver.

I am using E3's with an L-IP so I may be able to help. The L-IP is the config server and the ilons are nodes on the FT-10 channels.

Post Likes
    May not be using correct terminology, but I'm calling Standalone on an e3 similar to that of a Smart, as in no front end server being used. It is just (1) 100 and 3 L-IP's, one router for each building on campus. One of the L-IP's is the config server. All 4 devices on same subnet. I have added 100 to config server, but am awaiting my 852 license. When purchased, we did not realize it ran lon to IP.
    So each building has lon running to L-IP which is on LAN and each L-IP a unique channel in the Subsystem. iLon is also on LAN. I would assume remote access with LNS tool is most easily accomplished using RNI? Will I be able to "see" all Lon controllers via RNI even through multiple IP channels? I do not want to have to create IP-852 connections for each channel via the Lonworks Interfaces app and switch connections for each building (mere steps away from each other.) I'm not even sure why the original installer used routers for a total system of <50 controllers instead of just using wireless LON to keep one virtual FT-10 channel. But I digress...

Post Likes
    If you have LIP's then why do you need the IP-852 license for the 100?

Are you trying to pass data between networks via Ethernet?

You could have one config server and then multiple LNS databases under that so that each building is it's own LNS database. With the NIC USB 852 you would simply connect to the LIP configured as the config server and then the routing would be done via that config server to the LNS database you are connecting to.

See attached - it's old, but should give you some direction.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    Crab is right in that you don't need to license the IP 852 for the ilon.

I seem to have a similar set up except that I have one four channel router not individual routers. But you still set up each channel as an individual router in the DB.

Inside of the firewall I use a USB 852 nic with the nic on the IP channel but when I do use an RNI (iLON) outside of the firewall I have to move the network interface in the DB to one of the FT10 channels and then I can access all devices on all channels. That seems to be more of an IT / firewall issue for me. I just haven't pursued my IT department to get the an external IP 852 connection working but I'm sure it can be done.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in