Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think american kids these days are properly motivated by $$$$$$$$$$$ at $250 a day I bet you would find a lot of them interested in learning how to install a heatpump. Now if you import kids from India,Mexico,etc. they would have the same willingness for $2.50 a day until of course the become "americanized".
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Having been in the trade myself I know the tables have turned. In the past it seemed ,at least for me, that there were more guys willing to work then there were positions available. Now the exact oppisite is true. The industry is growing by leaps and bounds all over the country. The new houses/buildings that came about a couple of years ago are needing to be serviced. In my neck of the woods new housing areas are popping up out of the wood work. The qualified people are out there including the young guys that are trying hard to get there foot in the door, the trouble is that there are a lot more ways for a potential installer/technician to go about looking for a company. You have the internet that is gaining momentum with every passing day but then where on the internet do you look? Some guys are still focused on the paper and reading those ads. Then you still have tons of areas that could be nice little pockets of superstar guys that hasn't been touched. It is kinda like fishing. How many times have you been on the lake and got nothing or just a bunch of small ones. After being out there for 6hours you decide to call it a day. You give it one more cast and land a nice 7 1/2lb Black Bass. The bass was worth the 6 plus hours on the lake. Some times you have those days where the first cast yeilds good fish.
    When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

Originally posted by bmf
    im 24 now and when i was in the army i was 18 19 years old

and thats were i learned hvac and i dig it man i try to read

as much as i can and learn what i can dont mind what ever hours i work either
    And so bmf, when are you moving to Vermont?

Wow you could throw out old saying on this thread 'until the cows came home.'

"All the world is a stage and we are but actors on it." Right now I am the big star of the show. When I was just one of the supporting extras I had a different attitude.

It is just the same cycle over and over again. If there is no money in this field then why get in it? So yes the inticement is and should be money.

But don't spend your time and money on a loser. There are old losers and young losers. So just because someone is old doesn't mean he isn't a loser. Otherwise all you would have to do is go down to skid row and hire a old wino to be your helper.

I told this a hundred times on this site. When I tried to teach kids this trade from scratch my success rate was 20%. When I started to hire young guys out of HVAC college the success rate of me teaching them how thing will be done is 100%. (You see when they get out of college they know ABOUT hvac but they don't know the trade yet. That is what we the TRADESMEN have to teach them.) But "You can't teach a rock."

So it seems like a no brainer to me. If you are looking for a young person to work in your HVAC business where do you find them. Do you hang around the outside of MacDonalds or Wally-Mart or do you go to the placement office of the local trade school.

If you say, "I'm not willing to pay what these kids are looking for when they get out of college." Then who's fault is that.

service techs a dime a dozen/installers a nickle for six

i wish i was in a postion to make a change in this field,i do alright for the co. i work for,but like that youg fella said he reads and ask ?s.i also read alot about the disciplines of this trade,i do limited work on reachins and vending machines,which too me are no brainers,i occasionally get too work on some remote units in burger king or mcds,thats the stuff i really eat up,but being 52,and changing jobs at this point would be risky,but i would like too learn more of the other aspects of this trade,
    if at first you dont succeed,then skydiving is not for you

Confused

please tell where to goand make$250.00 a day working for some one else?
    thanks

Go to the Union Hall.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12