Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Howdy;

Looking for opinions on Coleman HP system, 12seer,3ton for 1250 sq. ft. energy remodled older double wide. Professional install. I'm more familiar with Day/Nite, Payne, York, etc in stick built applications.

The duct/ra system only qualifies for 12seer and 1 speed AH. Thoughts?
    Thanx
    Lakehaus

Can I ask why coleman?

Why Coleman

There were several reasons. When brands were being discussed the age of the home, (Summer/retirement house), availability and servicability of equipment,cost, reliability. Then I ask the contractor what he had in his home and was he pleased with it. That's when Coleman came up. We sort of gravitated from there. He also quoted me on York and I think Bryant. It seems Coleman is popular in this region with older Mfg'd homes and parts & service are readily available. This info gleaned from other contractors as well. Guess that's why I'm asking.

Thanx
    Lakehaus

I've installed at least four to five hundred coleman units,Ive had great service out of them even though they are a low end unit.The only problem I have is the quick-connect line set which is prone to leak.

Originally posted by jeffkillen
    I've installed at least four to five hundred coleman units,Ive had great service out of them even though they are a low end unit.The only problem I have is the quick-connect line set which is prone to leak.
    Hey Jeff, in all of your Coleman installs, have you ever had a problem with water leaking from the evaporator pan in a vertical setting...seems that the pan is awful shallow in the middle/sides area...just curious
    Hey mosquito, quit biting (slap!!) me... ©
    Anyone like Josey Wales?
    C'mon, you know I'm right!

True

My contractor brought this up and said he does not use quick connects. Says he prefers and saves call backs by welding all connections.
    I have no problem with low end as long as it does the job.
    And is reliable. Our county has the largest per capita mfg'd housing in the nation. Mostly rural with a huge Reservation and a lot of migrant workers. Might explain Coleman popularity because a lot of people in this sparsely populated region don't have large incomes.

Are most of your installs stick or factory housing? Just a curiosity.

When I was a kid I used to work for a Vitreous china mfg. that made pottery for the M.H. market and did very well. It was also low end and worked great. I/m encouraged by your words. Thankyou
    Lakehaus

Hey Jeff, in all of your Coleman installs, have you ever had a problem with water leaking from the evaporator pan in a vertical setting...seems that the pan is awful shallow in the middle/sides area...just curious [/B][/QUOTE]

The problem I have is not the water leaking out of the pan but the water being sucked off the coils(down-flow). The coil gets oil, grease, cig. smoke or dust on the coil and the water starts to get sucked off the coil. Usually ends up burning up the controls.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Originally posted by karsthuntr
    Hey Jeff, in all of your Coleman installs, have you ever had a problem with water leaking from the evaporator pan in a vertical setting...seems that the pan is awful shallow in the middle/sides area...just curious
    The problem I have is not the water leaking out of the pan but the water being sucked off the coils(down-flow). The coil gets oil, grease, cig. smoke or dust on the coil and the water starts to get sucked off the coil. Usually ends up burning up the controls. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hear ya Kars...maybe their blower is sucking so hard its pulling the water right over the edge(it doesn't have a big edge to climb)but thats in a verical upflow application.
    You've watched it pull off the coil and drop in the middle in a counterflow app?
    Hey mosquito, quit biting (slap!!) me... ©
    Anyone like Josey Wales?
    C'mon, you know I'm right!

Yes. I took a piece of plexi and watched the water get sucked right off the coil. (I have a post on the W.of S. that shows one burnt up). I set the fan speed as low it will go, and not freeze the coil, and it still happens. The only option is to pull and clean. That sucks when it has quick connects.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Yeah!And no way to pump it down and valve it off.

I install both Coleman and Nordyne. They are both junk in my opinion. Will they do away with the quick connect line sets when R22 is gone?

Coleman is owned and made by York. Both are made at the same plant in Kansas.

Norm

They make great camping equipment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast