Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hot common to ground short. Is my guess.
    His post # 8 3&4

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Hot common to ground short. Is my guess.
    His post # 8 3&4
    I'm starting to think something is going on here that the op has mis-stated, mis-wired, or overlooked. The only way I'm seeing this make sense is that the "common" he mentions is actually hot AND the compressor is shorted to ground.

3. Took that disconnected wire that goes to C terminal and touched it to compressor's intended terminal. What does this even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    I'm starting to think something is going on here that the op has mis-stated, mis-wired, or overlooked. The only way I'm seeing this make sense is that the "common" he mentions is actually hot AND the compressor is shorted to ground.

3. Took that disconnected wire that goes to C terminal and touched it to compressor's intended terminal. What does this even mean?
    Yeah, I'm with you on this. I've been biting my tongue, waiting for someone smarter than me to help sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    Just info.

Had a True T23F tripping a breaker. Isolated down to the condenser. Ohmed comp windings as good. No issues there. Megger tests to compressor case was good too.

With condenser practically in my lap, using an extension cord and an in-line GFCI as aux power source, I'd plug in condenser. The compressor would do an abbreviated startup kick along with the sound of something from the compressor's vicinity akin to the nearly imperceptible noise of dropping a tennis ball on carpet from say...a foot high.

I ordered and replaced the start components. SAME RESULT!

Retested compressor. Same readings. Compressor WASN'T testing as shorted.

Disconnected compressor terminals. Applied power. Carefully touched line input to C terminal. Tennisball noise and GFCI tripped.

Now I have no faith in my megger.

If you do not have a hermetic annalyser, get one, if it will not start with a "annie" then no matter what the noise, its toast.

Also, they allow you to bump the compressor backwards, I still replace it if it starts after this, but it will get them out of trouble on evenings, weekends or while the correct compressor is ordered.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123