Does anyone know what the law is for bidding on hvac school projects. I bid on a school that wanted one five ton system and was not the low bidder. Now it appears that they have contracted him to do the entire school without putting it out for bids. I would have been alot more competative if they would have bid the complete school. Any ideas.

laws will vary from one state to another.But I think you will find somewhere on the schools bid request form " school has the right to reject any bids".
    I can do all things...

I have bid on several school projects in Illinois If the project is under $25,000 they don't have to advertise for public bid. Was this a small project? Some people low ball these little project because they see mistakes on the plans and most of the profit made on these jobs are the extras.
    Because chicks dig it.

s tek

They contacted me to bid on one five ton system. Iwas doing a school with nine rooftop units at the time and was not really interested in getting this small job but bid it because it is where my kids go to school and only 10 miles from me. I agree that if the other guy bid lower he should get the job but now he is putting in 10 systems. I do not see how you can take bids on a 6g job and then hand him a 75g job. I live in this school district my kids go to school there as well as my employees and I pay taxes to this school. The contractor they hired is from out of the area. I make my living doing this and lose bids all the time but I would have liked to had a fair chance to bid on this. I also know they are tring to do it without prev. wage which I don't think they can do.

I would go to next school board meeting and ask why.
    In our area if I send a tech to a school and change out a t-stat I have to pay prev. Is that state or fed fund on that project? I might phone the state attorney general ask them to have a look see if its an unfair practice. They should be able to tell you whats what.
    Because chicks dig it.

I do school work in Ca. in a nutshell if the money comes from the state for more than 15,000 it must be put out to bid and be under prevailing wage rules. This also counts to change orders, you cant bid a 5 ton 6k job and then award a 75k change order contract for 9 more to avoid paying the correct wages on the project. In Ca. the law is real clear over 15 k you got to pay. You can however go change a stat under normal wages as long as your invoice is under 15,000.

The school board probably found a way to get around paying prevailing wage by only putting one unit out for bids and then allowing the installer to install the rest.
    Most jobs when bid do have the statement that they have the right to reject any or all bids in their specs. This allows them to legally choose whoever they want to have do their work reguardless of whether or not they were the low bid. It happens all the time. Maybe this guy is a relative or friend of somebody on the school board. You would be suprised at the different reasons some people get a job over someone else, low bidder or not.

The name of the game is

Politics. Attend a school board meeting and air out your gripes. It's surprising to see the coakroaches run when the light of public scrutiny comes on.

Before you attend the school board meeting ask some questions.
    Find out who accepted the bids, and who oked the other units.
    Ask why no other bids were taken on the other units.
    I have seen several jobs broken down into parts so each part is below the limits. Ask if this was done?
    Gather as much information as possable so when you attend the school board you can ask correct questions and reconize bogus answers when given. And I bet the first answer that you will get is "I don't know Mr. Trane but we will look into it."
    Ask when will they look into it and request that they give you a date for the answer and that they notify you of their answer and when they will make it public.
    You will have to be prepaired to do some follow up because I bet you will get stalls instead of answers.
    Maybe I have a distrustfull attitude towards school boards and administration. But our high school distric might end up in state control, bankrupt. The Supertendant just retired after doing such a great job, just ask him. We also have the same problem in one of our K-8 school
    Lendistricks.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam