Thread: Strange internal compressor short.

Post Likes
    I have this “Comfort Maker” heat pump/VAV box that I have been working on. It is kind of a wierd unit that runs on 265V. Anyway, when I got to it I found one of the wire burnt off of the compressor (can't remember which one now). I disconnected the remaining two wires from the compressor and started checking resistance. I got 0 ohm's and my meter was buzzing between all three terminals. Since this is a single phase compressor, I thought that this was kind of odd. I condemned the compressor and went to order parts.

The next day a co-worker was sent out to look over the job and double check some things. (He will be helping me replace the compressor). When he checked the resistance he said that C-R and C-S added up to equal R-S like they were supposed to, and that there were no shorts. He thinks the wire may have been loose, and that's why it melted off.

I swear I got zero ohms between all three terminals. After thinking about this a little bit I am wondering if the internal overload might be screwed up and is somehow shorting all of the terminals together when it heats up. Then when the other guy got there it probably reset itself and made everything look normal. Does this sound like a logical theory? I have never heard of an overload doing this before.

I am still kind of new to the trade and to this company, and I am not sure if anyone is going to believe me if my co-worker got it working and can’t find anything wrong. I already went out and ordered about $600 worth of parts and am still waiting to go put them in.

So does my overload theory sound logical to anyone? I will probably go back there to try to force the overload into popping, but in the mean time I am looking for some more insight.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    don,t use the buzzer ohm dildo. use the ohms scale.also if your readings were correct breaker would have tripped instantly.

Post Likes
    the buzzer ohm dildo?

LOLOL, sounds pretty painful!

You should not tell people how to manage their private affairs

[Edited by sonc on 07-10-2004 at 07:24 AM]
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

Post Likes
    I don't know what airworx is talking about and I'm not sure I want to.

I tried it with the continuity buzzer (actually more of a "beeeeeeeeeeeep") and with it on the regular ohms scale. I was getting zero both ways.

Post Likes
    You should have just repaired the wire and tried to fire it off, the worst thing that would have happened is it would have tripped the breaker.A burnt wire is not ususally what happens when a compressor fails,it was most likely a loose connection.I would do the right thing and try the 2.00 repair and cancel the parts you ordered.

Post Likes
    Some meters when measuring low resistances (eg. < 10 ohms), it shows no resistance. Buy a better quality meter.
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

Post Likes
    Are you sure you got 0 ohms and not OL?Does'nt make sense that you would get those readings.That unit would have been tripping the breaker.I agree that you should have repaired the burnt wire and tried to start the compressor.

Post Likes
    Definitely agree with the put the terminal back on and give it a shot with an ammeter hooked up...
    Dumb question....did you checked any terminals to ground?
    Suspect you missed something if your buddy followed up and had good readings...we're all human...it happens in the heat of the battle....

Post Likes
    Had one do this to me once (or twice even)

The insulation material between the terminals was breaking down or something (red rubbery material looked a bit cracked and damp). There was also 'just enough' moisture to give me zero ohms to each terminal and some resistance to ground.

Can't remember if the unit would start up or not....
    too long ago

The overload shouldnt' have anything to do with the ohm readings showing short. If it fails, it will fail open and will not close.

Post Likes
    Dont think you had a short of any kind. I have a "Fluke"(good brand?) meter that is OMH STUPID below 5 omhs resitance.

Try checking the restance of a know working simular compressor. I bet it will read shorted as well.

Post Likes
    chs

Dont think you had a short of any kind. I have a "Fluke"(good brand?) meter that is OMH STUPID below 5 omhs resitance.

Try checking the restance of a know working simular compressor. I bet it will read shorted as well.

What model Fluke do you have?I have been useing Fluke meters for years.I havent ever had a problem.

Post Likes
    Don't you guys use meggers anymore? I always confirm a short or ??? compressor with a megger.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    jeff... meter is in truck, it is a fit all "amp clamp" dcv,acv,and ohm. it is handy to carry. Didn't image it would be useless below 5ohms per instuctions,and is so low impeadence cant use on logic circuits. Very disapointed. old fluke great.new fluke not great, selling on the name?

Post Likes
    that would be a job for megger man. You would have found something out. Not sure if I would fire her up without confirming with a megger, and getting funny readings with the ohmeter. Just my opion though.
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvacker
    Don't you guys use meggers anymore? I always confirm a short or ??? compressor with a megger.
    I was just thinking the same thing I always double check.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Don't you guys use meggers anymore?
    i totally agree,

this post leads me to believe that we should post a minimum tool list as a sticky thread

moderators what do you think?

we might want to put that in the pro forum!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in